Valve adjustment?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadConan

Reaction score
Hi. New guy. I did read the FAQ for this sub-forum but did not see anything specific. I will continue to search but until I find it, I thought I'd be "that guy" and ask before doing a comprehensive search.

I just bought a '99 (so I'm told) Warrior. Overall, it's in fair condition. The top issues are starting (has a lot of trouble), idling (idles very low), and running at greater than 3/4 throttle, where it will hesitate massively and then go after a big backfire (too rich, dumping fuel into the exhaust port.) I should probably mention that it has an aftermarket Edelbrock carb.

It's been YEARS since I worked on a carborated motor, and I'm only so-so for engine work in any case. IIRC, I'm looking at one or more of the following:

• Replace spark plug
  • Fix time and/or Replace timing chain
  • Tune carborator
Is that about right? The cam timing is the one that worries me a bit. How tough is that?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Cam timing is a sinch it can be done with little to no effort it's just a matter of turning the crank till you hit tdc and making sure your cam gear mark lines up btw on the top of the stator cover there is a flat head plastic screw by looking into it while spinning the crank u can find the "t" indicating tdc make sure ur on a compression stroke by doing so when u pull ur cam cover off the notch on the gear should line up with the one on the head indicating time

Back