Ran, changed oil and adjusted valves, idles fine but wont rev.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV98YFM350

Reaction score
HELP!!! 98 warrior new to me bike, not sure of setup.ran fine until I adjusted the valves and now it will idle fine but wont rev. valves are all I touched and i lined up compression @ TDC. Just cleaned the carb and its fine. Im out of ideas and looking for some. Somebody bounce some thoughts off me, please!

also I only had to adjust the intake as the exhaust was already @.007. set intake to .003 as it was loose. Of course I didnt check the clearance before I changed it, which is why I am here.:loco: smells like its running very rich and has a horrible miss that eventually backfires when revved above an idle, but idles smooth as silk! GRRRR!

Last edited:
Did you remove the cam cover and make sure that the cam gear's timing marks were aligned? Sounds like you're valves are too tight. I'd double check that. There is a line on the cam gear that lines up (nearly anyway) with a "tit" on the cylinder head at the 11 oclock position.

Intake should be set close to .006 or .007exhaust .007 or .008
can't remember but .003 I think would be to tight
could also be the clutch and parking brake safety switches

You never mentioned it but did you adjust valves with motor stone cold? If you ran it and it was warm your lash will be off by alot. let the motor sit over night then recheck

You never mentioned it but did you adjust valves with motor stone cold? If you ran it and it was warm your lash will be off by alot. let the motor sit over night then recheck
X2 on that comment.
Expansion can be a bitch when your try'n to set stuff properly.

gen, after your suggestion i did pull the cam cover and yea they line up perfect matter of fact...is .003 too tight? pretty sure stock settings were 003 intake and .007 exhaust? Yea fellas, it was stone cold bc one of the valve cover bolts was stripped leading me to believe at least someone else was in them and set them before I arrived on scene. Should I try spacing it @ .001 th intervals? going up from three?

Factory 0.06-0.10MM (0.0023-0.0039 IN.) INTAKE

0.16-0.20MM (0.0063-0.0078 IN.) EXHAUST

set valve at .0025, .003, .004, and at .005. To no avail! help me! Im getting tired of taking valve cover on and off

What, if any, mods do you have? What is your jetting? Unless you have a bent valve, or intake boot probs, that is close to the last place to look.

You said it idles fine but when you give it gas it bogs that sounds like the parking brake and clutch safety switches if one of those are fucked up it will idle fine but as soon as you give it gas it will not want to rev up and it will act like the rev limited is kicking in and not letting the motor rev up

unplugged safety switch and it runs like a champ!!!! thanks fellas for the help! I work on these things and it had me frustrated to no end since this is my personal bike haha. I will continue to frequent this site! You've all been a huge help!

Glad to help
always start with the easy and most logical fix and move up from there until you figure it out
I knew it was those damn switches

Back