exhaust wrap

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akaguppy

Reaction score
please leave comments and let me know what you think, this is my first write up.

today i did exhaust wrap and figured i would take some pictures and share the install with y'all. the product i used was DEI titanium exhaust wrap, 2 inches by 50 feet along with metal locking ties.

this write up is for this brand/type of exhaust wrap. the fiberglass wraps have a couple of extra steps in there wrapping process. i assume no responsibility for anything that happens to you or your bike/atv from this write up.

0831121734a.jpg

0831121733.jpg

first i started by taking of the header and mid pipe. there are two nuts and lock washers on the front of the jug that you need to remove also a exhaust clamp or two depending on if you have them.

0831121735a.jpg

next you want to start wrapping the header, beginning at the flange. make at least one complete wrap before moving down the header with your wrap.

0831121753a.jpg

0831121751.jpg

once you have done this you start wrapping down your header making sure to overlap 50% of your previous wrap making sure to pull the exhaust wrap tight each time. after two or three wraps i put a metal tie on the begining of the exhaust wrap to secure it in place.

0831121752.jpg

once you have wrapped the header you can either end it there and start a new wrap on the mid pipe or you can continue on to the mid pipe while it is in place on the motor. the latter is what i did and was a pain in the rear.

once you get to your stopping point what i did was to make another complete wrap without moving forward or backwards on the exhaust. i trimed the exhaust wrap up. i then folded it back under the exhaust wrap and used the metal ties to secure it in place.

0831121940c.jpg

0831121940a.jpg

0831121940b.jpg

after you have everything put back in place and torqued down you need to let it run for a little while. i did a gentle ride on the trails for about 20 mins. it will smoke for a little bit.

before

0818121738.jpg

after

0831121940c.jpg

i did not take a temp reading on the exhaust before or after but i was able to rest my have on the exhaust after letting it idle for 5-7 mins with the wrap on, something i would not even think about trying without the exhaust wrap on there.

thank you i wish i took a few more pics toward the end though.

Great right up! Only one flaw, you didn't use a wire brush to remove the rust on the pipe before wrapping, you always wanna do that. If the wrap wears off or gets torn in a couple years, knock the rust off before wrapping it next time

i was kicking myself after i wrapped it b/c my friend even offered to wire brush it for me.

does wrapping the pipe help with the heat?
Oh hell yah Hauler!! It's said that wrapping the head pipe will actually give you a bit of bottom end. It also helps to keep head temps down a bit. :tup:

The main thing it'll do, is prevent you from burn'n the crap out of your leg if you happen to be riding in shorts one day.. lol

Wrapping exhaust headers is an important first step in controlling exhaust temperatures and reducing under hood radiant heat. Keeping exhaust gases hotter within the exhaust system helps in decreasing density and increases the flow of exhaust gases. This improves exhaust scavenging which, in turn, reduces intake temperatures. The result is an improvement in overall performance and increased horsepower.
now if it makes a difference with the exhaust i have, probably not so much as far as performance goes. but as far as not burning my leg and keeping areas around the wrapped pipe cooler yes. i can now put my hand on the header and let it rest there with out getting burned.... not that i would ever just hold it like that:loco: lol. before the wrap i would not have considered that. that and i like the look of it also.

i do not have an air box but it is wrapped past my shield and uni filter. did you notice a difference when you wrapped yours?

It ran a ton cooler and i had to change the main up a size and play with the a/f mix screw. Not a big jump but it did get a slightly different tone out of the exhaust

I used the same wrap on mine but wrapped the pipe back near the air box to protect it. They also sell a spray to put on the wrap after it is in place. I used the spray on mine. It bakes and helps the wrap hold in place to an extent. The only think I didn't like was that the spray is silver and kills the nice look of the wrap. Nice write up!!

I used the same wrap on mine but wrapped the pipe back near the air box to protect it. They also sell a spray to put on the wrap after it is in place. I used the spray on mine. It bakes and helps the wrap hold in place to an extent. The only think I didn't like was that the spray is silver and kills the nice look of the wrap. Nice write up!!

yes that is for the fiberglass wrap, this wrap does not need the spray. or so i am told

Hose claps :tup:

yep lol

I couldn't get those little crappy stainless things to work. I used stainless wire and twisted it on the backside where it wouldn't be seen.

i prefer the hose clamps but i have the strap on the front of the header also

Back