Looking for opinions on a good first truck

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Im looking for a truck. Im thinking either a Toyota Tacoma or pre 1995 Toyota truck or a 1988-1998 chevy Silverado 1500. or 1999 to early 2000s Silverado 1500. I want to be able to haul my warrior in the bed. I also maybe want to be able to pull a steel trailer with 2 quads.

Toyota pros:
Easy to work on?
Good gas milage
Great reliability
Great longevity

Toyota Cons:
Would I be able to pull a 6.5' by 12' steel trailer with 2 quads?
Would I be able to haul my warrior in the bed?
smaller bed.

1988-1998 Silverado pros:
I would definitely be able to pull a 6.5 by 12 trailer
I would definitely be able to haul my warrior.
Easy to work on

Cons:
Bad gas milage
Not as reliable
tbi for early 90s?

1999-2000s Silverado pros :
I would definitely be able to pull a 6.5 by 12 trailer
I would definitely be able to haul my warrior.
Easy to work on
ok fuel economy
smooth ride

Cons:
Not as reliable as Toyota
?????

What are your experiences with these trucks ?

I can tell you the pros for the silverado is they're dead simple to work on. However, the con of the 00 and up is just stupid electrical problems, like the gas gauge not working. I owned a 93 with a 5.7 that I loved and know own an 00 z71. ps, I got around 15mpg with my 93 and get about 17 with my 00

Toyotas are expensive is my only con for them. i loved my little 93 22re pickup. oh and btw i my warrior has fit in a toyota pickup bed before

I can tell you the pros for the silverado is they're dead simple to work on. However, the con of the 00 and up is just stupid electrical problems, like the gas gauge not working. I owned a 93 with a 5.7 that I loved and know own an 00 z71. ps, I got around 15mpg with my 93 and get about 17 with my 00

The fuel gauge issues are attributed to an outdated electrical plug at the fuel pump sending unit. New fuel pumps come with a new style connector that has to be spliced into the factory harness.

TBI is just about the most reliable, trouble free, fuel injection system ever made. Biggest problem they are having now is that the trucks are 20 plus years old, and the gaskets in the throttle body are developing cracks from age. No big deal, they are super easy to rebuild. I miss my old 89 GMC 2500.

I've owned my 01 8.1L 2500hd for over 8 years now, and have had zero electrical issues. Of all the GM trucks and vans that come through the shop, I have not seen many electrical issues. Certainly no more then any other manufacturer.

I'm not a Toyota fan. Honestly, I just don't care for their engineering, or how cramped the older trucks are.

I'm not a fan of Ford or Dodge either. Born a GM man. But, that's me and my preference. What you ask is going to get lots of feedback, not all of it good. Most of it telling you what truck you NEED to buy, or, that you SHOULD buy. Look around, find what you like, get what you want.

I will leave you with this, if you intend to pull a trailer, don't bother with 4cy trucks. They will struggle to pull the trailer loaded down. Most of the v6 trucks will do just find. V8 will obviously do more then pull it's weight.

I,like Pat am a GM man. Obviously I'd get the Silverado. I had a 94 for 7 years. Only problem was it went through 2 trannys. I have a 2010 now and not a problem yet (knock on wood) and gets pretty decent mileage considering it's a crew cab 4 wheel drive.

Consider a 98+ dodge Dakota. Great vehicles and with the 4.7 they average 18/city 22 mpg on the highway. I've towed up to 10k with my Durango. Great platform. Only older dodge I'd ever buy.

I've got a 96 Chevy 6.5td single wheel one ton 293k and still strong I get 20-28 depending on my mood but it will easily out run most anything on the road. Only issues I've had are one oil pump gasket and electrical and one power steering pump. I can't kill the thing.

Get a Chevy. I'm getting one this week. It'll be a stepside with a new 350 engine 4x4 and dual magna flow exhaust and new tires. I may post up a pic is ya wanna see it.

Get a Chevy. I'm getting one this week. It'll be a stepside with a new 350 engine 4x4 and dual magna flow exhaust and new tires. I may post up a pic is ya wanna see it.

Sounds like a nice truck. I would love to see the pics!

I've got a 96 Chevy 6.5td single wheel one ton 293k and still strong I get 20-28 depending on my mood but it will easily out run most anything on the road. Only issues I've had are one oil pump gasket and electrical and one power steering pump. I can't kill the thing.

Those are nice trucks. that is a 4x4 right?

Last edited:
The fuel gauge issues are attributed to an outdated electrical plug at the fuel pump sending unit. New fuel pumps come with a new style connector that has to be spliced into the factory harness.

TBI is just about the most reliable, trouble free, fuel injection system ever made. Biggest problem they are having now is that the trucks are 20 plus years old, and the gaskets in the throttle body are developing cracks from age. No big deal, they are super easy to rebuild. I miss my old 89 GMC 2500.

I've owned my 01 8.1L 2500hd for over 8 years now, and have had zero electrical issues. Of all the GM trucks and vans that come through the shop, I have not seen many electrical issues. Certainly no more then any other manufacturer.

I'm not a Toyota fan. Honestly, I just don't care for their engineering, or how cramped the older trucks are.

I'm not a fan of Ford or Dodge either. Born a GM man. But, that's me and my preference. What you ask is going to get lots of feedback, not all of it good. Most of it telling you what truck you NEED to buy, or, that you SHOULD buy. Look around, find what you like, get what you want.

I will leave you with this, if you intend to pull a trailer, don't bother with 4cy trucks. They will struggle to pull the trailer loaded down. Most of the v6 trucks will do just find. V8 will obviously do more then pull it's weight.

Thank you for the long write up. I'm going to get a a chevy (or gmc). Thanks everyone for the advice!

70feb72a09d5f3403cfcf78f67f92774.jpg

I prefer a full-size truck even though I own a mix size truck. I hope to get my hands on a decent full-size truck again soon. In my case I really want a diesel truck but anything too new is out of my price range.

I would really like to have a late 90's to 02 Ram Cummins truck but have considered a mid 90's 6.5 turbo Detroit in a GM truck. I've always been curious if the power that I could get out of a 6.5. I'm really not a fan of Ford trucks of any era, I've been working on cars/trucks too long now and really don't care for the way they're put together. And if anyone wants to talk electrical issues all I have to say is Ford Tritons and their Damn coil packs. Biggest pieces of junk on tbd planet.

I prefer a full-size truck even though I own a mix size truck. I hope to get my hands on a decent full-size truck again soon. In my case I really want a diesel truck but anything too new is out of my price range.

I would really like to have a late 90's to 02 Ram Cummins truck but have considered a mid 90's 6.5 turbo Detroit in a GM truck. I've always been curious if the power that I could get out of a 6.5. I'm really not a fan of Ford trucks of any era, I've been working on cars/trucks too long now and really don't care for the way they're put together. And if anyone wants to talk electrical issues all I have to say is Ford Tritons and their Damn coil packs. Biggest pieces of junk on tbd planet.

I agree 100%, bud. I love my GM trucks, but, I do not like the 07-current trucks. Love the powertrain, but hate the body. The new frame (11-up) is awesome!

Don't forget the Chrysler products. Now that is a shitty a electronics system!

I've always been curious about the 6.5 diesels, too. Biggest problem is the number 8 piston cracking, and the passenger side head cracking. There is a company that specializes in the 6.2/6.5 diesels, and I think they were talking about 400 RWHP is easily achievable. BANKS has their Sidewinder turbo kit for the old 6.2 that will develop 450lbft.

I had a 95 f250 with a 351w and 5 speed and that truck didnt give me any problems. it ran strong. it had 200k on it. I would buy another one. The 7.3 powerstroke is good also. my buddy has one with 450k and its still running strong

Back