Rear brake

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2001cheapwarrior

Reaction score
Ok guys so when I got my warrior it had no rear brake caliper. I bought a brand new caliper. It still had everything else on it. I never could get any fluid to come out of the master cylinder. When I put fluid in I can get it to come out of the hose running down to the master cylinder but not out the other side of the master cylinder where it goes down to the caliper. I rebuilt the master cylinder and am still having no luck. Any ideas?

Did you BLEED the brakes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah tried to but couldn't get anything so took the line running from the cylinder to the caliper loose at the top. Figured even if it had air in it it should still have fluid come out the master cylinder. Am I wrong in that assumption. I figured it would at least drip.

When took apart the whole brake system lines and everything on my Suzuki I had bleed them a lot to get fluid to come out. You where holding down the pedal before you opened the bleeder right? And close the bleeder before you let up on the pedal.

I've heard people having more success with reverse bleeding the system, maybe try that.

I've heard people having more success with reverse bleeding the system, maybe try that.

What consists of reverse bleeding? Ive never heard of that.

You pump brake fluid up from the bleeder screw at the caliper and watch the air bubbles come out of the reservoir. They make kits for doing it on quads/motorcycles/etc.

I don't think he has a bleeding issue though. Sounds like there's a blockage somewhere.

Yeah I know how to bleed from doing it to cars. Just don't understand why I don't have any fluid coming out of the master cylinder considering it's a big line that goes straight in. It is a brand new caliper.

So I bought a pneumatic bleeder from harbor freight today. Finally got it to bleed for a little while then all of a sudden it stopped. I have a few question that might be stupid but oh well. Do the holes in the bolts have to line up with the hole in the line? And when I push on my master cylinder it sounds like air comes out from around the rod going in it. Is this normal? I'm honestly thinking about buying a new one. I already ordered a new front master cylinder. Just so tired of messing with these brakes when I'm so closed to being done with this rebuild. Is there anywhere to get a new rear master cylinder?

No your banjo bolts don't need to line up with anything, just thread them in. If you have air coming out of an part of the brake system, I would replace it. It's a closed system.

Yeah I found one on partzilla for 90 dollars. Probably gonna get it cause I don't wanna go through the trouble of tearing it down again. But also don't wanna spend 90 more dollars haha. I feel like that can be my only problem since my caliper is new.

You could get a used one for cheaper than that, but then you risk having to rebuild it.

Just to give yall an update I finally got it fixed today. Got the new master cylinder and went and got new washers for the lines. Still didn't work. Would press the pedal and air would come shooting from around the washers on the line at the cylinder. Took off and sanded the faces of the line where the washers go. Same some imperfections after I sanded so decided to go further and use a fine flat file. Filed both sides down and tightened the line with the new washers. Bled system in about a minute with a pneumatic bleeder. Pressed the pedal multiple times and the brake pedal is stiff and no fluid leaking. Hope this helps somebody in the future.

Going through something similar.
Got a beat up and neglected 88 warrior a buddy didn't want to rehab I'm going through.

Rear master plunger shaft was so bent it couldn't enter the cylinder and caliper was zip tied to swing arm. Straightened the shaft, cleaned the master internals, put the caliper on, drained all the lines of the nasty fluid, filled the lines back up, and blead them.

Problem is the peddle is soft, it'll depress but it is not hard.

I've seen $20 rebuild kits but it's probably time for another master cylinder?

I know banshee rear master looks the same are any other bikes a direct replacement on the warrior?

You can rebuild it. I rebuilt mine and honestly I think it is good after replacing it. If you don't want the headache you can get a brand new one for about 90 bucks off partzilla. Check the lines and make sure they aren't clogged. Is it leaking anywhere?

Not leaking, not clogged just seems soft there is a lot of peddle travel.

I've been looking at it and the pads don't seem too worn but there is about .2 inch of clearance before the pad starts to clamp the disk.

I'm thinking this may be it, but not sure how thick new OEM pads are, anybody have the thickness of new read OEM brake pads ?

Thanks

Back