swing arm bolt

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wackadoo

Reaction score
I want to replace the swing arm bearings and bushings. When you take off the nut off from one side of the swing arm should the bolt just slide out? I am having a very hard time getting that long swing arm bolt out. Do I need to hit it with a rubber mallete to get it out or are there threads on both sides of the bolt. Any help would be appreciated!

u need a hammer and something long to hit against the end of it to get it out. i always found a long 3/8 extention for a ratchet to work fine ;).

I gotta say I hit it pretty good with a rubber mallette and it is in there pretty tight. I will give it a try again tomorrow. I had been replacing the rear axle bearings also. I got them out, but before I did they seemed welded in there. This should be fun too ;)

Impact wrench loosen it up then spray it with PB blaster and after some pounding it should come out.

Actually I needed the pb blast to get out my axle bearings. That stuff is amazing. I hope I can have it all done by Sunday so I can go ride again. I will soak the swing arm bolt with that stuff also and see what happens. I think there is a lot of rust inside there though. Thanks for the tips guys!

good luck with the rear axle barrings...that was a bitch ....i actualy took my stock axle and put it back on and tightend the **** out of it untill the barrings were squezzed in ...just make sure you grease away!

Simple, but will take a beating to get 'em out. Use a long 3/8 extension with a spark plug adapter connected and hit it with a hammer, not a rubber mallet. Also you want to soak the bearings in wd40 for a half hour or so (or a day if they're that rusted!!!), and also grind the lip of the spark plug adapter so it's square and 90 degrees on the flat side of a grinding wheel. The square lip on the spark plug socket will make it grab the small lip of the bearing much easier!!! The reason you want to use a spark plug socket is simply because it is almost snug in the pivot and they are usually never used, yet every socket set conveniently tends to give you one for free. When you beat out the bearings you also want to keep hitting them at opposite sides to sort of 'rock' them out, that'll prevent them from sort of jamming in there. When you get the bearings out be sure to soak the whole inside of the pivot with the wd again and keep jamming a cut square of a rag through it with the extension until all debris and corroded material is out. Once its all cleaned up just grease the living **** out of the whole assembly, including your new replacement bearing set and seals, and simply reinstall everything. Oh, almost forgot, you definately should go with the rubber mallet for the installation of the new bearings, don't want to beat those and damage them! :cool:

So I did get the axle bearings out with some anger :mad: a long socket extender, and a hammer. I hit them for at least 20 min before they came out. Those shits were stuck in there big time. I installed the new ones but before that I cleaned and greased everything. I just wanted to make sure if I have to do the job again it won't be like this. She rolls nice and smooth now and is nice and quiet. Those old bearing were shot. As for the swing arm bolt I just tightened it up snug and it seems fine for now. I still think I should swap out the bushings soon though just to be safe.

Only benefit to the bearing kit, gives you that big sob and the seals. If your bearings were as bad as mine I would swap it asap, good to have everything restored to avoid any near future problems. My bearings were just rusted cylinders that didn't even move anymore! ;D

I drilled and tapped a hole in the carrier itself and put in a grease/zerk fitting (there should of been one there already -_-).

Latest posts

Back