Raptor 350 EFI and Turbo build thread

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed G.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2005 Raptor 350 and am in the middle of a restoration and conversion to EFI and turbocharging it. I have a good bit of experience modifying cars and thought I would try my hand at modifying an ATV. My past projects include a 2JZ DeLorean, VR6 turbo DeLorean and a Turbo VR6 Nissan 350z.

I plan to document this process with pictures as I go so it hopefully will help others do the same.

What I know so far for major components that will work.

EFI components:
-MicroSquirt EMS with 30" harness
-Honda 420 Rancher 34mm EFI throttle body
Fits the stock intake boot!!!!
Integrated Throttle Possision Sensor (TPS) and Manifold Air Pressure sensor (MAP). (MAP should read up to 11 psi)
Integrated Idle Air Control Valve (IACV)
Integrated fuel injector (small EV14 injector style) I plan to have it flow tested
-I plan to use a small GSXR EFI fuel pump and integrate it into the stock fuel tank
-Small universal automotive fuel pressure regulator
-GM intake air temp sensor
-Cylinder head temp sensor (Ebay)

Turbo system:
- RHB31 VZ21 turbocharger with internal waste gate.
-1.5" sch 10 304 SS butt weld elbows for turbo manifold
-Custom machined SS flange for exhaust port
-Custom made intercooler with Bell intercooler core
-I plan to fabricate 1.5" aluminum charge piping and stock diameter SS exhaust

I have all the wiring and connector information for the Honda throttle body and Raptor and will post up a sensor pinout later. There will be a little work to get the trigger signal for controlling ignition, but you don't have to worry about that if you plan to just go fuel only. I need to control ignition because of going turbo.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the Raptor when i first picked it up, not bad for $800 not running. Adjusted the valve and she cranked right up!!!

So I'm fully rebuilding the frame with all new bearings and seals. I'm also repainting the frame with engine paint with clear coat.

Here is the Honda Rancher 420 EFI throttle body and the Raptor 350 intake boot. I'm having the last lip machined off so it fits flush and aligned with the indexing tab on the TB.

Hers is a test fit of where I plan to put the VZ21 turbo.

He's one of the little SS butt weld elbows I'm planning on using.

I ordered a 1.25" x 4" x 8.5" intercooler core from Bell. I calculated that 1.25" charge piping is more than plenty of flow as well. I'm trying to keep the footprint of the turbo kit light and compact so all components are being sized for max power desired plus a little extra. Most of these kits with big piping are unnecessary for anything other than competition drag racing or hill climbing. This kit will be for all around throttle response and performance.

What are your power goals or overall goals for the bike? This should be sweet and looks and sounds like you know what your doing! Excited to see how this turns out!

I'very been following since day one. Very interesting

What are your power goals or overall goals for the bike? This should be sweet and looks and sounds like you know what your doing! Excited to see how this turns out!

Stock they are about 20hp I would like to get 45-55hp out of it.

Leaving the engine stock? Would be interesting to see this in like 11.1 compression with a custom CWR or web turbo grind cam with a bigger cc engine on e85. Could end up making a lot of power, would be nasty as hell. Not that it's not going to be lol

Leaving the engine stock? Would be interesting to see this in like 11.1 compression with a custom CWR or web turbo grind cam with a bigger cc engine on e85. Could end up making a lot of power, would be nasty as hell. Not that it's not going to be lol

The plan is to get the bugs worked out and up and running on the stock motor then rebuild it with a 10.2:1 compression off the shelf forged piston and rod. Not a good idea to start up a new EFI setup on a fresh built engine. 10.2:1 compression with ~7-10 PSI will be more than plenty on 93 pump gas and be fine. She'll be more than fast enough.

Last edited:
I might hold off on the turbo and EFI until after a family vacation we have planned. We're meeting my brother and his family at a place in Alabama called Boggs and Boulders. It's an off-road park where we plan to stay for three days of fun. I want to make sure my quad is usable for the trip. I also just picked up a very nice Polaris Phoenix for my wife last night. I cleaned the carb and fuel tank and she started right up. It rides nice too; fully automatic with reverse. It's perfect for the wife and it's in like new condition from sitting in a garage for many years.

Ok here are the pinouts for the throttle body

TPS/MAP sensor

Looking at the map sensor itself from left to right. Lock tab up.

(Map Sig) (TPS SIG) (SIG GND) (5V ref) (Not used)

It looks like this module has a IAT sensor in it that would use the far right pin, but I could not get any reading from it at all but I plan to use fast response GM IAT sensor anyways.

Here is the voltage to KPA formula for the MAP sensor. It's good to about 11psi like the old Honda/Acura MAP sensors!

Formula KPA=(37.664*voltage)-5.832

Stepper IACV pins from left to right.

This is looking at the valve itself with lock tab up. Will have to use a PWM to stepper adapter with MicroSquirt.

(1B) (2B) (2A) (1A)

Last edited:
So I had the stock injector flow tested and it was about 288cc at 40psi so probably 29lb injector at 43psi. I'm going to need something around 400cc. But the small EV14 injector is all you need. I plan to use an LS9 injector which is a 56lb injector.

So I'm starting to put the rear end of the quad back together. I had to buy a new axle because the old one looks like it never had any maintenance. The bearing races on one end were cracked down the middle and trashed the axle!! I got new factory sprocket and brake disc hubs while I'm at it. I also replaced the top bushings in the shock and got new hardware for the axle carrier.

Here's a shot of the new chain guide and Torlon chain rollers!

My new rear fender finally came in so I got some more assembled. I added rubber isolators on the two side fender supports so it would have less stress on the fender where they are known to crack. I was able to get all the wiring cleaned up and back in too. I also installed my new brake light lens and test fit the MicroSquirt unit. I found a perfect spot for the uS to fit.

I got the axle back on with new hubs for the sprocket and brake disc. New chain and brake pads to start out fresh. Everything is torqued to factory specs too.

Thanks a lot!! Trying to bring this ol girl back to life.

On that note I have very bad news. I found out the engine was not getting oil pressure because the oil pump failed at some point. This caused the cam and rockers to fail as well. I tore the top end down to the connecting rod and also found the wrist pin was loose. To fix this without splitting the case I'm going to have an oversized wrist pin made and hone the rod out and it should be good to go. The rest of the engine is in very good shape. I have a new oil pump, clutch kit and gaskets on the way to close the lower end up but now i need to get this top end back together.

I do need help locating a good stock camshaft and both valve rockers and shafts if anyone has any good used ones they want to get rid of.

Latest posts

Back