Why you never buy a wiseco crank! Ever...

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duneracerweston

Reaction score
ok, so i have had 2 wiseco cranks in my warrior, first went in with a new .020 piston, just running stock valves an over sized cab and a slip on, it grenaded at about 40-50hrs sheared the crank between the main bearing and flywheel, no biggie, called wiseco rep and got a "thats odd, must have been a lemon, send it in we will inspect it and send you another." so i sent it in, 4 WEEKS later i get a call "yes the crank was a factory defect, a new one will be sent out monday" got it a week and a half later, put it in and didnt notice it bent a valve, so i did oversized valves, P&P and a hot cam stage 1. get it back together, no big deal, runs about 10-15 hrs and the cylinder is shot (didnt go together perfectly clean) so i bored it to .040, threw out the base gasket to bump compression to 11.02:1, ran it maybe 20hrs, and it blew the second crank! same spot same deal, i call the rep again "sorry but 40 hrs is a long time on a 'race motor' we wont even inspect it. have a good day." so i said "to hell with it!" and decided to build it with a rebuilt stocker!

here is the pics of the damage to the motor the second time (sorry no pics from the first one)

first tell the crank broke was how the flywheel collar was shoved out the side.
IMG_20121014_211648.jpg

it was burning clean so it didnt get hot and burn up.

IMG_20121014_215453-1.jpg

crank never even got hot!!

IMG_20121014_222647.jpg

it bent both valve BAD.

IMG_20121014_215252.jpg

you can clearly see where it sheared it off.

IMG_20121014_222716.jpg

i hope this will warn future buyers to NOT buy a Wiseco crank for ANYTHING.

Yep, the wiseco wont hold at all! i talked to vince in Ky he is building my crank (Mr crankshaft) and he said the only things that can cause it is a untrue crank, or poor quality materials.

we need something military grade to hold ours together! if i can keep a crank in it this time, it should make it through this season, although i am one set of cases short of a spare motor!

I know all the Blaster guys say they would NEVER, EVER run a wiseco crank. I won't get into a rant, but it reminds me of the BS Snap-on pulls... just because a company makes the best of one product doesn't mean their name will make other junk products better.

The dealer here told me 4 or 5 years ago not to buy Wiseco when I needed a crank for my Banshee. He said that Wiseco used to be the one to have then they started outsourcing to China. He told me Hot Rods so that is what I ordered. I also put a Hot Rods crank in a YFZ 450 I built. They are both holding up nicely.

I put the hotrods +4 in my warrior, and to date(knock on wood) I have not had any issues. Looked like a really nice piece, too, when I looked it over. Even has a bronze bushed wrist pin hole.

Back