Any carb experts please help!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cantonis34

Reaction score
I have an 02 Warrior with a Zoom Zoom carb. I just got a new PowerBomb header and put it on. Didn't touch my carb at all. The bike was running a little rich to begin with, but now it's popping and making all sorts of banging noises. I have no idea what the problem is, I think it's to lean.. But I pulled the spark plug, and it's black and has a bunch of carbon build up on it. And if it was lean it should be like white? I think the jets are stock, 42.5 pilot & 145 main. I also have a megamax slip on, and a UNI air filter on it. Oh and the boot to the carb from the air box is split, just a little though. And it use to smoke quite a bit at start up, and when I got on the gas. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Ok, that's a lot going on in one post haha. It sounds like you have a few issues. If your boot is split, you should replace it. To check if it's actually split, let the quad idle and spray starting fluid on the boot. If the rpm's of the engine increase, then your boot is cracked through, and needs to be replaced. As for the smoke, it sounds like the engine is getting old. It could be valve seals, seats, piston rings, or all three. As long as you keep the oil level in check, then you should be fine for a while still.

Now for jetting. With an aftermarket exhaust and air filter, you need to run larger jets. (Unless you live on top of mountain or your warrior can fly...) Most people with similar set ups run anywhere from one to three sizes larger on the main, and maybe one or two sizes larger on the pilot. (These are just guidelines, you have to jet your own quad where you ride or it'll be off). To start, I recommend you remove the carb, clean it, and find out exactly what size jets are in there. Also, replace your spark plug, as it sounds like yours is in rough shape. Next, run it with a new plug and clean carb for a while and then see what color the spark plug is. Work from there... and we can give you some tips along the way. A light brown color indicates a good air/fuel mix. Black=Rich and White=Lean, like you already said. Hopefully this helps.

Alright thanks man. I'm ripping the carb off now, I'll take a look at the jets and give it a clean up. But I don't think it should be to gummed up, cause I just bought it n only went riding once. But I'll still clean it out. And I also already purchase some bigger jets hopping that would fix it. Main and pilot, but won't be here for a day or two

Alright I got the carb off the bike, and it their isn't much gunk in it at all. But u can tell it's been used once or twice not brand new. But anyways, my main jet is a 145 and my pilot is a 42.5. And I was gonna check te boot but my battery is dead :( tried charging it an noting, it must be fried. So I need to get a battery and a new spark plug. Any advice from here? Thanks again

Not until you get a new plug. Then you'll be able to see the color better, and work from there on jetting. Also, remember to check you carb boot for cracks using the method I wrote above.

Found this great spark plug color pic awhile back on a FB Warrior group, hope it helps!
Spark_Plug_zpsgeepxnmn.jpg

That chart is a really good reference, thanks. And I pulled the carb and gave it a full clean out, and I went to adjust my needle, which took like an hour of research to figure out. Noob mistake. But it was 2 clips from the top where the clip points start. Think that was lean. So I moved it down 1 click so it's in the middle. I'm getting a new battery, spark plugs, and jets are arriving tomorrow. Hopefully she runs right

The middle needle clip position is stock. If it was moved up one notch, then yes, it was slightly leaner.

That chart is a really good reference, thanks. And I pulled the carb and gave it a full clean out, and I went to adjust my needle, which took like an hour of research to figure out. Noob mistake. But it was 2 clips from the top where the clip points start. Think that was lean. So I moved it down 1 click so it's in the middle. I'm getting a new battery, spark plugs, and jets are arriving tomorrow. Hopefully she runs right
Lol it's ok, it took me awhile to figure out how to get to the needle clip, too.

Alright I got some new spark plugs, and I was running Iridiom plugs if that helps. But I just got some regular plugs. And waiting on te battery to charge, gonna slap the carb on and will also check the boot was the battery is ready. Oh and I put in a pen spring on my accelerator pump, and isn't there a valve stem thing u can put in the carb or something?

Yeah, you place a valve stem cap on top of the accelerator pump push rod. It takes up the gap in between the white plastic lever and the accelerator pump push rod, giving better throttle response when you hit the gas really hard. I've never done, but I guess it helps from what people say.

So it's still running poppy. I haven't got the new jets in yet, but put the carb back on, new battery, and needle adjusted. Nothing running the same. And I sprayed the boot with starting fluid it stayed same idle. I think it's my pilot jet, cause I give it throttle to about 1/2, it's popping real bad, then when I go wide open it just bogs out. And I think that's the main jet kicking in

I also got a video of how it's running, but I don't know how to post a vid (Noob)

I'm assuming by popping, you mean on deceleration? Popping on deceleration is generally a sign that you are running lean. Pull your plug and I bet it's lean.

No I don't think I have, but would it just come on all of a sudden? It's never done this before. It all started with my new header

Back