Warrior 350, lots of problems! =(

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloudymud

Reaction score
Hello guys, I've introduced myself already in the forum and left some pics of my quad, i'm here to let you know of my recent history and to try and get some knowledge from you..

Recently i bought a 98 quad that cost 1500€, they go around here from 1950€ and up (I'm from Portugal), at 1st i thought it was a good deal. It's my 2nd bike, the first one was a DT50LC from 95.
When i got home i took the quad to a friend that knows more things about bikes than me. At first glance he saw the frame was bent so the previous owner had it cut and reajusted... (1st defect) then, the carb intake (flange) was damaged so i had to order and put another one in, after that i took the warrior to a real shop where they changed the rotules (don´t know the exact name in english, we call it kneecaps), due to the danger of them collapsing and I suffer a accident.

After all that, my bank account was suffering and asking me to stop for a while but i noticed the quad was consuming a lot of oil and blue smoke comes out of the pipe mostly when i change gears, so apparently i need to change the piston and the segments, the shop asked for 300€.
i somehow got myself robbed from the previous owner and was stupid to let myself go on a deal believing in the man's words, (and got a little robbed by the shop that took me 180€) but now it's to late to back off, and i really like warriors above most of the other quads around, i don´t really know why though ehehe. another thing.. the front brakes sometimes don´t brake at all and sometimes brake really good! know what it is and how to fix it?

The mechanic advised me to sell the bike online and get another one but i don´t feel like fooling somebody else. In time i hope to get all the things fixed and then focus on doing some little mods to make it my own, after that i'll e-mail the previous owner with recent pics and a nice little text about abusing people (still waiting on the spare keys he said he would mail me a month and half ago!)

Thank you all,

Cloudymud

That blows, dude. Unfortunately, you can't take most people at their word anymore. It's a shame... As to your problems, if it shifts well, and the engine makes not abnormal noises, I'd rebuild the top end. New piston and rings (next larger size), cylinder bored and honed to match, new gaskets and O-rings along with new valve seals. You don't need to have the head fully rebuilt. Most likely, you can get away with lapping the valves when you replace the valve seals.

The front brakes, MAY work consistently by bleeding the system. Could be air in it, which will give a spongy feel one pull of the lever, and a firm feel the second (or third, fourth, etc) because you are "building pressure" by squeezing and releasing the lever. If that doesn't work it is most likely a bad master cylinder. That's what holds the brake fluid. You'll also want to make sure that the brake pads aren't worn out. If they are thin enough, the piston in the caliper may have to travel extra far for it to push the inner pad against the rotor.

Thank you for the reply Gen1Pat ! I've shown the quad to my uncle and he said he can solve the breaking problem! Thanks for the hint ;) for the next couple of months I'll have to keep the bike as it is because I need to get my finances back up first, after that I'll get someone to rebuild the top end, in the meantime I'll just go easy on the warrior and check the oil everytime I go for a ride, I only use it for casual rides: going to work, going to the beach etc.. Do you have any recommendations for piston brands?

Thank you for the reply Gen1Pat ! I've shown the quad to my uncle and he said he can solve the breaking problem! Thanks for the hint ;) for the next couple of months I'll have to keep the bike as it is because I need to get my finances back up first, after that I'll get someone to rebuild the top end, in the meantime I'll just go easy on the warrior and check the oil everytime I go for a ride, I only use it for casual rides: going to work, going to the beach etc.. Do you have any recommendations for piston brands?

JE and Wieseco make good pistons. You can get higher compression pistons through them aswell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So today this happened:

F7fYaYf.jpg

zdSMYpB.jpg

Engine:
I'm going to take the top end of, have the guys at my local wherever it's called, (the guys with the grinding machines) check it out and bore it out as little as necessary. I´ve talked to the local mechanic so that he assembles the top end for me because i'm afraid to screw it up, in time i´ll get there for now i'm cautious. I'm taking the top end off step by step...

Plastics:
Graphics OFF and getting ready to learn how to sand them down and paint them all blue. Where will i find the Yamaha blue is still a great question to be asked though.

Exhaust:
I'll take the rust OFF.
How can i keep it rust free for the longest amount of time possible? Is there any product I can use?

BTW, thank you all for the existence of this forum, I've been lurking around and getting a lot of knowledge =)

After all this i'll be doing the Raptor clutch cable mod, starting small but dreaming big! :atv:

Last edited:
So today this happened:

F7fYaYf.jpg

zdSMYpB.jpg

Engine:
I'm going to take the top end of, have the guys at my local wherever it's called, (the guys with the grinding machines) check it out and bore it out as little as necessary. I´ve talked to the local mechanic so that he assembles the top end for me because i'm afraid to screw it up, in time i´ll get there for now i'm cautious. I'm taking the top end off step by step...

Plastics:
Graphics OFF and getting ready to learn how to sand them down and paint them all blue. Where will i find the Yamaha blue is still a great question to be asked though.

Exhaust:
I'll take the rust OFF.
How can i keep it rust free for the longest amount of time possible? Is there any product I can use?

BTW, thank you all for the existence of this forum, I've been lurking around and getting a lot of knowledge =)

After all this i'll be doing the Raptor clutch cable mod, starting small but dreaming big! :atv:

Some high temp header paint for the exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday i had some time after work so I started to take the rust off of the exhaust, what do you think? This week I'll try to get some products to polish the aluminum and the paint for the rest. After it's done I'll get some pictures uploaded =)

Here is the before and after right now:

8Ei35Sim.jpg

EeCLJyym.jpg

sz9oBv6m.jpg

ZKEDCS8m.jpg

rP1l1Ugm.jpg

NBmgX3Nm.jpg

Last edited:
Back