400 warrior

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave76

Reaction score
Figured out you could make a Warrior a 400 by using Yamaha parts, this is just for reference. 1st way would be to use a 06 Bigbear cylinder, and rod, have your crank stroked 7mm or buy a Hotrods stroker crank and then just buy a Weisco 1mm over Warrior piston. However the use of the bigbear cylinder would require you modifing the upper motor mount as the Bigbear cylinder is about 8 or 9mm taller.
Its actually way expensive doing it this way. 1st way runs you close to $600 so looks like the Hotrods crank and piston kit is the better deal.

If you used the bigbear crank, wouldn't you need a shorter rod? The extra 7mm of stroke would make the piston go 3.5mm higher and hit the cylinder head if you used the stock rod. How do you know it's a direct drop in? Because that would be kind of cool actually, since the hot rods crank has the same stroke, you could use the yamaha crank and the hotrods piston to get the same effect as all hotrods parts. since the hotrods piston pin is moved higher it should work with that crank and a stock rod. something worth looking at.

You have to purchase the Bigbear cylinder too as it is taller and will accomadate the longer rod and stroke. Other wize you need the shorter Warrior rod and a CP piston, which moves the piston pin up closer to the oil ring.

Cycle works racing make a 400 big bore kit.....but i would'nt recommend it will tend to overheat because off the increase in bore.....your best choice would be a 400 stroker...... Hot rods make a 396cc kit and maybe you could use yamaha genuine parts as you can see.....i think i would rather take the 400 cylinder and crank than the hot rod 400 kit.....

Max

wat would be better to do do you think, get the hotrods 396 kit or do one of the things that dave said

Cycle works isn't exactly a 400cc, it's a 383.5cc motor. they just bore the cylinder caseing bigger to fit a bigger sleeve, (87mm). The hotrod 400 kit is a 71.5mm stroke crank and a 84mm bore, which gives 396.3cc. This is probably the best basic drop in kit you can buy, I heard on bluetraxx that their going for about $525
This kit doesn't so much add a ton of horsepower but adds torque were the stock short stroke Warrior leaves out. Just bolting the kit in with a pipe, cam, and filter will give about 32 to 34HP porting the head will add a little more. With the cycle works kit your just increasing the bore a lot more, killing even more low end torque.

Go with the hotrods, I looked into the bigbear a while ago and came to the conclusion that that the hotrods was definately better bang for the buck. If I could have came up with the big bear parts cheap I would have liked to give it a try though.

i would probably go with the big bear/kodiak 400 setup.....i can probably have those parts for like 300$ canadians......around here a hot rod kit would cost me like 900 $........that's why i want to make sure that it's work.

max

It's not going to be the same level of performance. The piston is the main difference, the big bear piston is still going to be low compression, and a lot heavier than a good aftermarket one like the one that comes in the hotrods kit. I'd be surprised if you gained more than half the power you get from hotrods.

I know but i was thinking that......if I keep my warrior cylinder i can just buy a cp piston to match with my kodiak crank and get a little more power.......do you think it can work ????

The Bigbear, Kodiak 400 crank dosn't look like it'll fit, as the autoclutch side looks a lot longer then a Warrior crank. Yor best bet is the Hotrods.

When I do eventually get the Hotrods, wat do you do? do you just replace the stock parts w/ the Hotrods stuff? or is there more to do than that

alright, thanks for the help, now to save up and buy it lol

alright, thanks for the help, now to save up and buy it lol
dtdyno.com has the piston and crank for $519 shipped, thats about the cheapest I've seen advertised. They also have great prices on HMF exhaust.

So one milimeter over makes it a 400? If i boured my stock jug to a 400 how bad would it overheat and could i use my stock crank and everything else.

Back