*AXLE BEARINGS - HOW TO CHANGE THEM*

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im having real trouble removing my sprocket carrier i have had it in a press with 15 ton on it and didn't move and ended up bending the carrier, any help?

Carrier Troubles

Im having real trouble with removing my sprocket carrier on my 98 warrior, have had it in a press with 15 ton on it and it is so seized it ended up bending the carrier, any help or tips?

Which way were you trying to slide the axle out?

Its all good i got it off with a full tin of WD-40 ans a few words my mum wouldn't like to hear. also is there a spacer or something inside the hub that could be seized as well because the axle still wont come out of the hub?

Yes there is a spacer and that axle will only come out in one direction. You have to remove it from the brake side, so you should be driving it on the sprocket side

Yes i have been driving it from sprocket side but still no movement i will put on the press again and see if that makes a difference

This how to was a huge help but the wood idea was terrible lol. My right side bearing was seized on axle. I broke a ton of wood getting it off. I ended up making a pipe that would side over til it hit axle and beat the living **** out of it. I just replaced almost my entire quad and this was possibly the worst thing I've done yet lol

Pm me a offer. I'm not sure if its worn down and once I get it back in with these bearings I want zero play. If its worn I'm gonna replace

ya a pipe wrench squeezes down on the nut and actually makes it harder to get off.... rocky mountain atv sells axle nut wrenches.

OMG! This thread is so full of misinformation from people who don't know what the hell they're talking about. I used to be a pipefitter and I know what these wrenches are and are not capable of. I used a 14 inch pipe wrench with a pipe on the end for a total of 32 inches of prying torque on my 2006 350 Raptor. These have only one nut-about an inch wide-and it's on the right side of the carrier. I made sure the pipe wrench made contact on ALL THREE SIDES. I weigh 160 and had to bounce on the end of the pipe while the front and back brakes were locked and someone was sitting on the quad. After I spun it all the way off I cleaned the threads and put it back on to make sure it was still in good working order and it was.

Last edited:
This how to was a huge help but the wood idea was terrible lol. My right side bearing was seized on axle. I broke a ton of wood getting it off. I ended up making a pipe that would side over til it hit axle and beat the living **** out of it. I just replaced almost my entire quad and this was possibly the worst thing I've done yet lol

With the castle nut snug on the end of the axle-using washers under the nut to be sure the head of the nut extends outside the end of the axle (you want to hammer on the nut NOT the end of the axle) and a socket over the castle nut, I beat the living crap out of it with a 40 pound dumbbell. Seriously. About 20 times. That was yesterday and the left side of my body is killing me LOL.

Last edited:
The OP could have done a better job

the raptors only have one nut, it has two set screws on opposeing sides to lock it in place

Exactly. Will someone please edit the title of this instructional on page 1 to reflect the year and model of quad we're talking here?! Some of us have a 350 Raptor (which came out in 2004) and there are not two nuts you need to loosen, there is one large one and it's not on the left side, it's on the right side of the axle. The axle slides out of the carrier hub to the left, NOT right. Everybody coming to this dang tutorial knows they need to slide the dang axle out. The OP gives only the most basic information. OP could have simply said "you need to take stuff off so the axle can slide out" & accomplished nearly the same they did with their 10,000 word instructional. IMO they raise more questions from people searching help than the amount of help they actually gave. I can only give thanks to the ones who visited this topic and provided real guidance. How old is this thread? Am I the only one who's concerned about the quality of an instructional?

This thread was started in 2005. At that time, there were way more warrior owners than raptor owners, and there still are, so it makes sense that this information is warrior specific. Everyone knows a forum is a place for opinions and advice to be posted, not necessarily manufacturer recommended procedures. If you want concrete info on how to do something the correct way for your specific quad, look at the service manual! I don't see why you have posted three times on a thread that was last posted on in 2013. The OP and many other users in this thread aren't even active members anymore...

Back