Modding the Warriors Dimensions - All Directions

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bahnstoermer

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

My build goals may be different than many, but I'm building my Warrior to be a vehicle more capable for steep, rutted trails, with more clearance, traction, stability, etc for a sporty quad that is reliable and quick, but not in the direction of a low-slung track machine. Almost in the direction of a sport utility hybrid setup, or from what I hear a higher speed desert trail type setup.

I just had mounted Holeshot XCT tires front and rear, which compared to the nearly bald rears that were on it seemingly nearly doubled my ground clearance under the rear skid. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm most pleased. So, that's the vertical direction :)

I also want a little more front track width, as the deeply rutted trails I'm on often times really beg for more width. I think the shocks up front are stock, so this will have the peripheral benefit of smoothing out the ride a bit which it needs. I plan to go +2 in width up front.

This post however is about the seemingly least popular dimension to change, and that is the length. I want a little more length for steep hills, hopefully a little more stability at speed, and now with the bigger rear tires a perk will be increasing the "bit too close for comfort" distance between rear tire and heel guard / plastics (whatever people call that LOL).

SO... tradeoff's/effects I've gathered about a longer rear swing arm, in my case a +2 is what I'm thinking:

1) Slower turning
2) Quad rides higher
3) Longer lever arm effects on rear shock, just like front (I'm also probably ok with that)

Questions:

1) Any other tradeoffs I haven't found?
2) Anyone know how many chain links I'd need on a +2 rear swing arm?

Last edited:
Something I did, i'm not sure what your rear axle skidplate looks like, but mine was a flat piece of aluminum. I ended up cutting a U-shaped section out of the center, just to gain a little more clearance right in the center. It's only 3-4" wide, so it's not a lot but it did help.

Also, you could run bigger tires, like 25"s in the rear for extra clearance. You'd probably want to look at changing the gearing dependent on what it is now to handle the extra weight and change in diameter.

Hilarious... I didn't even know what the Wolverine was. Shows the depth of my knowledge of the quad market. It's funny getting into a new hobby, most of my hobbies I've amassed 20 years of history and knowledge about. Stepping new into quads brings this lack of knowledge painfully into focus... starting at the beginning sucks!

Anyway, anyone know chain tooth count for a +2 swing arm?

I know, just go measure it... but I'd still rather get three people confirming the same number so I can just check that off the research list without getting all freaking greasy and ruining my only flexible measuring tape :)

Look through the elite threads and the build threads of the elite bikes those are the most modded on here and all of those guys are on here pretty regular for the most part.

The only way to gain more ground clearance is through installing larger diameter tires. The lowest point on all sport quads is the rear axle carrier, because of it's design. Modding the swinger skid, like Gus suggested, is the best way to gain ground clearance out back. I personally wouldn't go any taller then the stock 22" rear tires. Taller tires means higher center of gravity, and, they just look funny in my opinion, lol. You'll also need to regear it to keep the engine in it's powerband with the taller tires (taller tires means taller overall gearing, means more power needed to turn them meats).

Widening the rear end will also help with ground clearance because it should help to keep the rear wheels out of the ruts, thus keeping the swinger skid from contacting the ground.

Me personally, I run ITP Holeshot GNCC 21x11-9 rears with a +3 swinger and, although my swinger skid takes many shots, have not gotten hung up on any trail or hill I've climbed.

Back