Removing stuck bolts, hubs, bearings, etc... 101

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I am sick of this ****. I just removed one of my front hubs to replace the bearings and snapped both caliper mounting bolts off. I don't get it, its not like the bolts have been in there for a decade, its an 03. I guess I'll have to drill them out and tap them. Funny, I have yet to break anything on my brothers honda, and its 4 years older.

That's because honda doesn't use the shitty lead-aluminum based fasteners that yamaha does. I can't even count how many times i've turned bolts 1/4 turn past finger-tight and sheared the head right off on a yamaha, and in the 6 years i've had hondas i don't remember that happening once. Hell, it doesn't even happen on my cousin's old rusted out suzuki lt250r, and that's 21 years old. Yamaha really has a tendency to cheap out on some things, like their fasteners, and some of their welding. I can't believe how unbelievably shitty looking the welds are on my frame, and am amazed that it didn't collapse yet.

I was replacing my swingarm bearings today and they are so bad they fell apart. The outer part of the bearing is stuck in there and i cant beat it out because the bar keeps sliping off of it.

I need to remove the a-arms from the hubs. I don't have the 2 jaw puller that the manual shows. Can I find one someplace other than the dealer? Is there another way to get them seperated? I realize this is probably a bit simple compared to most questions but some of the tools from the dealer are rediculously expensive.

manhollio said:
I need to remove the a-arms from the hubs. I don't have the 2 jaw puller that the manual shows. Can I find one someplace other than the dealer? Is there another way to get them seperated? I realize this is probably a bit simple compared to most questions but some of the tools from the dealer are rediculously expensive.

yeah, all you have to do is hit the joint where the tapper of the ball joint goes into the piece of metal, you can tap on the top where the threads are of the ball joint but make sure thread the bolt on.

Thanks fellas, I'm headed out to get on it. I didn't want to destroy the joint unnecessarily. I'm building a warrior up for my wife and it's looking great so far. I'll get some pics and post them on the other thread.

For ball joints just use a separator, they are cheap and take spindles off in a few seconds. They can be found at any automotive store for around ten bucks

a trick i found for freeing stuck header studs is mine broke about a quater or an inch from the head so i forced a socket that was a hair smaller and with a little heat it turned right out.

I can't get the bolt off of the oil filter cover, it slowly started to strip out so I stopped. I havnt been able to change oil filter. I tried liquid wrench but no luck. Should I apply a little heat to it?

Heat might help. Just be careful not to melt other stuff like gaskets and wires LOL

Okay I have my rear brake caliper bolts stuck. Both of the ones to remove the brake pads are completely stuck and the wrench is actually bending the bolt head. Any suggestions?

Back