Edelbrock Throttle housing/stopper WOT mod.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathShadow

Reaction score
Well one of three things has come to my attention regarding the owners of the Edelbrock carburetor.

1. They lose the manual
2. They don't read the manual (RTFM)
3. They never got the manual

So I have taken the liberty upon popular demand to create a short tutorial on what EDELBROCK CARBURERETOR owners need to do to achieve WOT (wide open throttle). The manual dictates what you need to do fairly clearly but the pictures are far beyond useless. So.... Here we go!

This is by far the lengthiest part of the edelbrock install but fairly straight forward and of ease. To do this mod I would STRONGLY recommend a rotary power tool (a dremel); to do this by hand is to shoot ones self. If you don’t have a dremel go and "rent" one (Buy it use it and return it to get all your money back) from your local Wal-Mart retail outlet. Alright now moving on...

Shown below in the first image is the thumb part of the throttle and the "throttle stopper". The first thing we need to do is take away metal from the stopper itself. To balance it out I took metal away from both the thumb itself and the throttle housing (circled in blue). The throttle rotates forward and is stopped by these sections of metal (motion represented by the green arrow). You can not achieve full throttle with the stopper in its stock form; so let’s start grinding!

Image 1:
edelmod1.jpg

Image 2:
edelmod2.jpg

Tips

Tip 1: Some of you may have noticed that I have grease in my throttle housing shown in image 2. The stock housing does NOT come with grease in it so don’t freak out when you open it up and it’s dry. The grease serves a dual purpose in this case; one long term and one short. When you begin to take metal away from the inside of the throttle housing the metal shavings get all over the place. The short term benefit with the grease is that the metal shavings will stick to it. This way when you are done grinding you simply wipe the metal contaminated grease away with a paper towel and no hassle. The long term effect keeps that portion of the cable and arm lubed and in good condition and adds to a nice smooth throttle pull.

Tip 2: When you reach WOT with the Edelbrock carburetor a "click" can be heard. This sound is the slide reaching its peak of travel inside the carburetor. When you hear this sound as you press the throttle in at WOT this means you are good to go.

Instructions

Step 1: With your throttle housing cover removed (shown in image 2) start grinding away at the throttle stopper (area circled in blue in image 1). You must grind until you either get wide open throttle (refer to tip 2) or the gold/brass arm (shown in image 2) hits the side of the throttle housing.

Step 2: If you have grinded away at the stopper (image 1) and you have achieved full throttle you are done (refer to tip 2) - disregard the rest of this tutorial. But for the most of us here we go. You should have by now grinded enough metal away that the gold arm shown in image 2 when in the full throttle position hits the inner wall in the throttle housing. It is now time to take metal away from the housing wall around the area it hits until it no longer hits at all and WOT is achieved (refer to tip 2).

Step 3: Your grinding is complete when you hear the "click" mentioned in tip 2 and the gold arm does NOT hit the throttle housing wall.

yeah y a few weeks? don't you already have the carb? what are you waiting for? I modified the throttle housing a week before my carb even arrived

i did mine the day i got the carb i grinded the throttel arm down cause i did not have a drimal on had

hey, got a few questions on this. first, is this mod only for edelbrock carbs, or could i be used on a stock carb? second,when you take the throttle cover off do you have to replace the gasket between the cover and housing, or can you reuse it? third, what material is the throttle housing and cover made of? is it aluminium? i am getting a thumb throttle to replace my twist (not really safe to run twist on the rocky trails here in missouri with the new power i have) and i am thinking about polishing it when i get it. i read the tutorial on polishing and think i should have no problem doing it with my dremel, since it has polishing tools with it. any ideas?

You won't get any benefit from grinding the housing with the stock carb, it's just for the edelbrocks because they have a longer pull than the stock one.

It's fine to re-use the gasket as long as it doesn't fall apart when you take the cover off.

The throttle housing is aluminum, but if you know anything about the upkeep of polished aluminum you'd probably think twice about polishing the entire thing, because aluminum likes to corrode and oxidize. I just polished the flat parts of the cover on mine and it turned out pretty good. I did mine with some sandpaper to start out, then finished it up with a polishing wheel on the dremel. I have a pic of mine in the page linked in my sig, but it was before I used the dremel, in the pic it was just some fine sandpaper.

okay. so would i be able to just polish it and then clear coat it? would that keep it from corroding/oxidizing? yours looks pretty good in that pic. did you ever get inbetween the letters or did you leave it black?

I don't think you can clearcoat polished aluminum. I never bothered to get in between the letters on mine because it would be tough to get in all the little corners and make it look good. Right now mine looks a lot better than in that picture, it's like a mirror, it just takes some time.

so i guess you just keep it clean and dry so it doesnt corrode then? i would think that you might be able to rattle can some clear coat on it to protect it, but i guess i could be wrong. oh well, i think the guy is shipping the thumb throttle today! got it for only $25 shipped! im excited, i will actually be able to learn how to wheelie now! its scary as hell trying it with twist throttle. well, thanks for the tips. later

If you wipe the cover off with some wd40 after you wash the quad you shouldn't have trouble with it corroding

right on. hey do you think billet aluminium polish would help keep it shiny? i have a can of it, and i was just using it on the bowtie on my truck and thought, hmmmm, maybe this could help shine that throttle (and possibly my nerfs and bumper). i would assume that it would work on aluminium and not just billet, but im not sure. anyway, i just washed my truck today so im off to get some pics of it while its still clean. (its white so it doesnt stay clean for long!)

I don't see a reason why billet polish wouldn't work fine, but to be on the safe side you might want to try it somewhere not noticable first, like a small spot underneath the nerf bar in case it doesn't turn out good.

yeah. good idea. well, i got pictures of my truck and she is a shiny sexy bitch! cant wait for the throttle to get here now. anyone got good detailed pics of how to hook up the throttle cable in the carb? i have a clymer manual and its got pics, but they are black and white and not very good detail. also, any pics of routing the cable down the bars and frame? would really help if anyone has pics. thanks

Can you please reup the pictures?
It will be very helpfull
Thank u very much!

Back