New guy from Upstate NY

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pellethuntr

Reaction score
Hi guys, new here. Been reading a while and figured I would stick around. Looks like a good community.

Bought my first "atv" a number of years ago, a mint condition, one owner, Yamaha 225dx. I rode that for a few years before I bought a pair of 80's Suzuki lt230's. Made one good bike out of the two and rode/built that for a few years before I sold it. Bought a nice one owner Suzuki dr350 last year that had a cracked head. That one is still waiting to be rebuilt, hopefully in the next month.

I picked up the Warrior about a month ago on a trade. The good is that he had brand new in the plastic white rear fenders and a DG slip on. The bad is that the guy said he hadn't run it since last fall and that there was gas in the oil, oil plug head was stripped, no battery, the swing arm bearings were shot and there were no rear brakes.

I brought it home, drilled out the oil plug and go it to come out with an easy out. Replaced that. I then went through the carburetor to make sure that the inlet was not going to get stuck open again and dump the gas tank into the case. I had an extra battery kickin around so I replaced the oil and filter, put some fresh quality gas in the tank and wouldn't you know it fired right up and ran strong.

I only had to ride it across the yard to realize he wasn't kidding about the swing arm bearings! I tore into the rear end to find that not only was the sprocket side bearing completely gone and the tube was so wallowed out it would never hold a bearing again but the swing arm had been welded in a few places to repair cracks! So I called up my friend Nick who runs an air-cooled scrapyard out of his house and he sold me a new swing arm and some other parts. I replaced the swing arm bearing and the axle bearings and it was good to go.

I've been riding it for a few weeks now trying to get it setup where I want it. I know that I want to trade the front sprocket out for 12t one. Where I ride it's mostly tight woods trails and the Warriors speed is wasted in the woods. I also need to get some new head lights, the ones that came on it are cheap harbor freight ?singe filament? so there is no high and low beam and we do a lot of night riding.

The plan is to mount two LED Projectors with Halo Angel Eyes to the frame (low beams being the angel eyes and high being angel eyes and projectors), off a toggle switch I will mount a single small LED bar to the handle bars so I can see when I turn. I would also like to do some waterproof under glow strip lights on the frame risers hooked on a toggle for when I want them. I am using LED's because they have a tiny amp draw compared to other options.

To do list:

Lights
Find white front plastics to match
Extra clutch plate mod
Carb Mods
Rear brakes

That's where my project is right now, I will start a build thread when I do my lights!

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you know what you are doing and your warrior is going to turn out great. As for lights, the LED bar on the handlebars is what I run and it's plenty bright by itself lol.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you know what you are doing and your warrior is going to turn out great. As for lights, the LED bar on the handlebars is what I run and it's plenty bright by itself lol.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

You can never have to much light when riding at night, I have been within inches of hitting a deer and countless trees and logs at high speed! Nothing will make you question your life like almost hitting a deer at 50+mph

:atv:

Back