01 yamaha warrior valve adjustment problem

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseladdict99

Reaction score
i had recently purchased an 01 yamaha warrior. After riding a while i started noticing a ticking. It sounded like it was an out of adjustment valve. I started tearing into it and sure enough the intake valve was way out of adjustment. The problem was caused due to the lack of a jam nut so it was backing itself out. I looked and looked for this nut but could not find it. Do i start tearing into the motor in search of this nut ? Could this nut be stuck somewhere causing this ticking noise i was hearing rather than it being the valve ?

I'd look for it. Definitely need to find it. Try one of those little magnets that's on the end of a radio antenna looking thing. That' what I use for stuff like that.

yea i mean what would ya rather have; a potentially couple hundred dollar fix or just taking a few hours tearing it apart?

any idea where it would go? do you think it would stay in the top end? is this common ?

its not common. it could go anywhere i guess but i think it would stay in the top end, unless you are REALLY unlucky!

I'm trying to think of anyway it can get to the bottom and I'm not sure it can. It would have to get into the chain area to get down there I think but I don't believe there's a passage big enough to allow it over there. I have a head off and I can look this eve but Pat prolly has one in his shop, maybe he can take a look. If nobody hits this thread today I'll look for you this eve man.

I'm trying to think of anyway it can get to the bottom and I'm not sure it can. It would have to get into the chain area to get down there I think but I don't believe there's a passage big enough to allow it over there. I have a head off and I can look this eve but Pat prolly has one in his shop, maybe he can take a look. If nobody hits this thread today I'll look for you this eve man.

I thought of that too and I can't see how it would get into the chain cavity. It's gotta be in the top of the head.

I've found this to be a common problem with the warriors. This happened to my friends 1st gen practically right infront of me. The intake screw and lock nut cam out and got lodged in the cam. Then, I bought a warrior about 4 years ago that had the same problem. Here's what you do:

Take the exhaust valve cover off, and inspect the head the best you can. Pay carefully attention to the cam lobe valley, get in there with a magnet wand and fish around in that valley, and whatever areas you can, to hopefully find it. If you can't find it there:

Drain the oil, there is a chance that it made it's way into the screen that goes on top of the drain plug. Matter of fact, it may even come out as the oil drains, it will "pull" it out. If it doesn't come out that way, remove the stator cover, and MAYBE even the clutch cover. Both sides have a fairly large passageway in the bottom of the cases for oil flow. You can readily get in there with your eyes, and a magnet wand to find it. It could even be cought on the flywheel because it is magnetic. All and all, it will cost you one or two gaskets $17, 3 quarts oil $11.49, filter $4, having peace of mind... priceless.

thank you guys for all the help i really do appreciate it. I love my warrior and would hate for something so dumb to destroy it.

I had the jam nut come off on the exhaust side once.. But it fell out when I pulled the rocker cover.

I hated piss'n around with my valves all the time. Now I have no valves, and no problems. lol

****, I adjust my valves about once a year. On all my bikes. Actually I think it's been 2+ years since I did dad's honda, but she is as quiet as a church mouse. And, in the case of the warrior, I replace the adjuster screws and lock nuts when I rebuilt the top end. Am also doing the same with the stroker.

Back