Dead battery? Stator? Huh?...

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robstar

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm posting this on YFM because there is so much more activity than the Raptor forums. But here is my problem, around May or so I tried to start my Raptor after the winter sit but the gas was bad so no luck starting, while doing that I killed the battery and let it sit for about a month (I know stupid thing to do). So I get a charger and charge it up and change the gas and boom, it starts and runs great. I take it out on 2 rides with no problems. Just recently I'll go outside and try to start it and I just get the clicks. So I charge it and it starts but after I turn it off and try to start it again it turned over a few times and then clicks. Well while out on my trip this past weekend it would just click, even after charging.

My buddies push started me and it ran great! Great power like always, smooth idle, etc. I didn't dare turn it off the whole ride in fear of it not starting again. And guess what, as soon as were back to camp I shut it down and try to restart... nothing but clicks. My buddy brought me out a new battery and instantly the clicks, no start. We jump it off his truck thinking it lost juice from sitting on the shelf and it starts while hooked to his truck but after another ride it won't start again.

Does this sound like maybe the new battery might be dead also? My headlights are bright like normal while its running and the idle is smooth and strong so I don't think the stator is bad? I'm not real familiar with the electrical systems on these things so any insight, tips, newb bashing is welcome!

Thanks,
Robbie

grab you a multi meter and see how much charge the battery has(volts) if its anything less then 11 its got a bad or weak cell, also crank it and test again at idle and see if it has a higher charge, if it does the stator is fine and the battery is bad. if it dosent show any gain in voltage while running then either the stator or rectifier is bad.

run those test and report back, we will go from there.

Also, you may have to give it some gas for the numbers to get higher while running. Some systems don't charge on the low side until the revs are up. And, if the battery is weak, the numbers when running will be lower than usual because the charging system is working harder to charge a weak or dead battery. The usual operating range is between 13 and 14 volts. At idle it may be just under 13 until you give it gas. Just keep that in mind. You could even have corrosion on a terminal or connection, and the added "juice" from a battery charger, or your buddies truck is enough to "break through" that crap.

I have the same problem I went to start the bike and I put the key in press the button and nothing.I heard a click sound from the starter relay I have a new battery but I'm at a loss of what it could be starter, starter relay,battery I know its not the fuse but I'm not sure what the other relays are for,the lights are bright it wants to turn over it seems like I get one shot at cranking it before it has to charge up for me to crank it over any advice would be appreciated thanks

So does it want to turn over or not? You said it clicks and thats it. Then you said you seem to get one shot at cranking it.

if its just clicking than you need a neew solinoid but if you hear a buzzing coming from the solined its a dead battery to test if you need a new soliniod (if its just a click) take a screw driver to the termals on the solinoid (NOT the battery) an if it cranks over than u just need a new solinoied

Hey guys I'm posting this on YFM because there is so much more activity than the Raptor forums. But here is my problem, around May or so I tried to start my Raptor after the winter sit but the gas was bad so no luck starting, while doing that I killed the battery and let it sit for about a month (I know stupid thing to do). So I get a charger and charge it up and change the gas and boom, it starts and runs great. I take it out on 2 rides with no problems. Just recently I'll go outside and try to start it and I just get the clicks. So I charge it and it starts but after I turn it off and try to start it again it turned over a few times and then clicks. Well while out on my trip this past weekend it would just click, even after charging.

My buddies push started me and it ran great! Great power like always, smooth idle, etc. I didn't dare turn it off the whole ride in fear of it not starting again. And guess what, as soon as were back to camp I shut it down and try to restart... nothing but clicks. My buddy brought me out a new battery and instantly the clicks, no start. We jump it off his truck thinking it lost juice from sitting on the shelf and it starts while hooked to his truck but after another ride it won't start again.

Does this sound like maybe the new battery might be dead also? My headlights are bright like normal while its running and the idle is smooth and strong so I don't think the stator is bad? I'm not real familiar with the electrical systems on these things so any insight, tips, newb bashing is welcome!

Thanks,
Robbie

if its just clicking than you need a neew solinoid but if you hear a buzzing coming from the solined its a dead battery to test if you need a new soliniod (if its just a click) take a screw driver to the termals on the solinoid (NOT the battery) an if it cranks over than u just need a new solinoied let me know if this helps

you just gotta distinguish if it is "BUZZING" or "CLICKING" so you know what direction to go Battery? or Solenoid and or Starter?

my last ride at the last gas stop when I went to leave pushed the start button and nothing no click no buzz took a screwdriver crossed the terminals on solenoid and started right up got her home and disconnected the cable from the solenoid (the one that goes to starter) and cleaned it up hooked it back up and works every time now just a bad connection from the elements corroding the terminals on solenoid.

Last edited:
I thought about the solenoid being bad but then why would it start on its own when its jumped to my friends truck battery? That is what makes me believe it is the battery that is bad or low. I'll try to jump the solenoid and see if that helps.

It could be a bad battery or it could be that you have a bad connection. Be it loose or corroded, and the extra amperage and voltage from the truck battery helps to "break through" that crap and make a connection. Check all connections at the battery, solenoid, and the starter for debris, corrosion, and loose connections. It could also be that the starter is on it's way out, and the added amps and voltage from the truck battery makes it turn fast/easier. Something that everyone forgets is that the cold cranking amperage has more to do with starting then voltage! Your battery could have 12.67 volts and still not turn the engine over, or turn it over fast enough, becuase the amperage level is too low. That's why we mechanics use a battery tester to check voltage, and do a load test to check the amperage, and check the output voltage from the alternator when running.

Latest posts

Back