Starter Clutch Questions

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan1981

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. I've searched a lot about start clutches before posting. I understand they go out but does anyone know why? I know it has a spring and it may fail mine just seemed to be a little different. I'll give a quick background on what happened to mine.

Took my son and his 250EX to Lake Murray OK to go riding, my warrior just stopped running, I couldn't jump it or push start it either, so I thought the solenoid went out. So I just put it on the trailer and didn't ride. The most embarrassing part is my 10 year old son had to tow me back lol. But he felt good. His little ATV is that Little Honda that could

Came home took out my battery it was dead bought a new one and it started right up, but not the normal sound. I took it out for a ride and then about 5 min later it shut off and won't turn back on. it was grinding.

Bought the flywheel tool and got it all apart and the starter gear was stuck in the starter clutch so it came out all together. So this could definitely be the reason. I had to pry the gear out. Now once the gear was out I put it back in and then it pulls out like normal and clutch spins one way like it should. but I can't figure out why it would stick?

image_zpssjjgqkid.jpeg

Last edited:
I've also ordered a L & L starter clutch since I read on here that they were great and more durable, like $129 shipped. They were great at answering emails before the purchase, however I've not got a text response, email response, call back for any update on shipping labels or time when it would be here.

Is there a way to tell if I need to replace the gear as well? The gear looks to be in good shape, none of the teeth are missing. If I do does that part have to be from Yamaha? I bought the good clutch. Just checking thanks

One more question for you guys and it maybe far fetched, but do you thing that the starter motor could be spinning the wrong way for some reason and causing the get to get jammed in the starter clutch?

Is there a way to tell if I need to replace the gear as well? The gear looks to be in good shape, none of the teeth are missing. If I do does that part have to be from Yamaha? I bought the good clutch. Just checking thanks

You should replace the gear as well.

One more question for you guys and it maybe far fetched, but do you thing that the starter motor could be spinning the wrong way for some reason and causing the get to get jammed in the starter clutch?

Probably not but you can check that

Ok so I got the new L&L performance starter clutch in. Put it all back together and something sounds like it's grinding and I notice that the start itself moves when it's starts. Like it almost backs away from the motor. I can't make it any tighter with out breaking the bolts which I don't want to do. I'm kinda lost at this point. I'm going to see if it will push start. maybe the starter is bad? When the starter clutch went out the starter was spinning all the time?
I want to stay with The warrior, just so many gremlins with this thing

Here are some pics of my new gear but still doing the same thing:

image_zpsbb0xboeq.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zps39g1ws8y.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phUFq8mp-TE

EDIT:

Took out my starter and it turns both ways freely. It does turn the motor over a couple times and sticks. So I wonder if it is just burnt up?

Guess I'm going to be ordering one of those tomorrow too.

Last edited:
So I pulled my starter out and looked at the gear behind the starter and it turns just like it should one way and not the other. Today after trying to start it I pulled the starter a I could turn the gear through the hole one way just fine but not the other so it would appear that the new starter clutch works. I just can't get it to turn over. So a new starter is on the way

So I got my new starter installed and same thing, It started to spin a little bit but was still making a whining noise again. I've replaced:
starter
Starter clutch
Starter gear,
Stator,
It's still doing the same thing where it acts like it wants to turn but doesn't, I can get it to turn sometimes. But not all the time. It looks like my starter solenoid has gone bad after trying to start it to many times. It started to hum when it stopped.

Could this be something else? I'm trying to do all of this in Neutral and have tried it in gear. I'm at a loss guys as what else I can do. I have the by pass done on the neutral switch as well. It seems as if there is something stuck or jammed not letting the motor turn?

So it's weird when I took everything apart, I saw that one of the chain guides wasn't on properly. So I took the chain off and was able to spin the motor freely no problem and was easy to get it all timed. However now that it's all together and chain is on it's really hard to turn it now. But sometimes it turns with the starter when it wants to. I don't know if there is something not making turn on the other side of the motor? I have to adjust the clutch because it still wants to go forward while holding it in.

I was able to turn the motor today. I didn't seem to want to though. But once I got it to turn then it seemed to be ok. I have a new solenoid on the way. Now I checked and I only have one fuse and it looks to be in good shape. I found a black wire right next to the red wire that is connected to the fuse, and the black wire wasn't connected to anything. I'm going to have to take off the rear fender and look through the entire Harness.

image_zpssr8xwfya.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsot6wsyyn.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsh0yphsb4.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back