2nd and 3rd gear sputter

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalli445

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm having an issue with my recently acquired Warrior 350. When I'm accelerating or riding around in first gear everything is fine but when I **** into 2nd gear and I'm under slight acceleration or even full throttle it seems as if the chain is skipping but it is not. It seems to be something internal to the engine. The sound is prevalent around the front sprocket area. It does this in 3rd gear as well but 4th gear seems to be fine. I recently replaced the clutch thinking it might be that but it did not correct the issue and the new clutch holds amazing. Any and all help is appreciated.

Pat

This is a video of what the atv is doing. The video starts off as I'm idling along in 2nd gear. It sounds like something internal is skipping and then will occasionally catch. 3rd gear does this as well. What do you think it is and how much do you think it would cost to repair this problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5t69m2lp9A

Hi Pat, this is Pat. Hahaha, I crack me up,

Pop your front sprocket off and make sure that the sprocket and the counter shaft splines aren't rounded off. If that's okay, you are looking at some transmission issues.

Well it doesn't appear to be the shaft. All of the splines appear to be in good shape.

1fd469bc6b4c9f8654bbf0bb302433fb.jpg

c43a624c117040366e2f9487b46748e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you feel any up and down play in the countershaft? Any roughness when you turn it by hand?

Pat,

There was no up and down play in the shaft. I was able to get the case split and took a video of what I found. I'm not sure if the person who put the atv back together before it was given to me forgot a washer somewhere but you can see how one of the gears was chewing away at the case. Here is a video I took.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_7gZcYRa8k

I was told it could be the shift cam and shift forks. Any other opinions? Does this sound like it could be the issue?

Yes, if I am not mistaken, there should be a washer between that gearset and the bearing. Been a good while since I had one apart. Do you have a repair manual? It will tell you the complete removal/reinstallation of the trans. I would replace the shift forks as well. The reverse fork is fine. Hard to see what it is you are pointing out on the very first item you had in your hand (it's the shift drum).

Back