Warrior 350 Help

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnwelby

Reaction score
Hello my timing was off on my 01 warrior 350. I lined the flywheel up with the t but I noticed that when I rotate it, the cam sprocket will be different on the rotations. One rotation will be lined up with the T on the flywheel and the cam sprocket will be lined up perfectly. But when I rotate it where it lines up again with the T the sprocket will be 180 degrees off. It backfires really loud and won’t start. Is it on exhaust stroke instead of compression stroke? And could I have bent a valve by trying to start it?

Couple things could be wrong:

a. you aligned the flywheel to the T on the flywheel, but not on the compression stroke, so the timing is off. When setting timing, you need to make sure the motor is at TDC on the compression stroke, since the there is a 2:1 ratio between the cam and the crank (the crank turns two revolutions for every one revolution of the camshaft).
b. you have sheared flywheel key, and the flywheel may have rotated on the crank, causing timing to be off.

If I had to take a guess, option a. is your problem.

That cam gear will always be 180 out every other turn of the crank and that's what determines which stroke it's on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back