New here and looking for opinions.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homerx99

Reaction score
Hi folks. I've been lurking for a while. Looking to get back into atving and need some opinions. Somehow I have survived to my mid 40s lol in the past I have owned blasters, banshee, ex400 and most recently a snoresman 500 (read boring). My delema now is there is such a huge interest in just sitting in a mud hole all day no one in my area actually rides anywhere. I'm more interested in putting on miles on my quad vs mud in my shorts. I'm trying to decide between pure 2 wheel vs a sport 4 x 4. I will need to pass through areas rutted from the mud lovers. I've narrowed my options to warrior,400 ex or 400 scrambler. My interest is really in epic day rides but need to be able to handle all terrain. Would like to here from owners of all but any opinions are appreciated. I have never ridden warrior or scrambler. Other factors I like simple inexpensive designs as I wrench all my own toys.

Thx for reading my long winded 1st post.

PS no disrespect intended to mudders, everyone has their niche its just not my gig.

Budget 2500$ cnd

Last edited:
I'm personally a fan of the 2 wheel drive sport quads with a clutch and transmission. That's why I wouldn't get a scrambler. As for the 400ex vs. Warrior, for me it boils down to how much work you want to do to it. Say on average, you can pick up a 400ex for $2000. Well, chances are you can find a warrior for under $1000. (At least in Michigan you can...). Then you throw the extra $1000+ you have left in the budget at the warrior in aftermarket parts, you now have a warrior that will more than likely handle better and be faster than a 400ex. So it depends how much work you want to do to your quad. As for reliability and easy working, both are great, even though I've only ever worked on a warrior. I hope this helps lol...

Thanks

That does help, I am a fan of two smokes but was only throwing the scrammy in the mix due how much mud hunting goes on up here. I am new to where I live now and know that most people I will meet riding will be mud freaks so I will have to navigate some mudvfrome time to time. I don't throw a wolverine into the options cause its really only 3 wheel drive. Also up here 1000 $ warriors are trashed basically to parts bikes. Money is gonna be about the same for a clean ride. I do however want reverse and I like the more extended mud flaps on a warrior. I guess I'm wondering if the warrior or ex will be capable enough to get me through the odd mud hole. I know ground clearance is the enemy with solid axle. Thx again!

As for ground clearance, you nailed, basically any straight axle quad suffers big in that department. For mud riding, reverse is a must. I think the newer 400s have reverse too though. In mud my warrior does pretty good, definitely better than my friends lt250r, but I would assume the 400ex does well too. You will definitely appreciate the warrior mud flaps, but you will still get covered if you ride in a lot of mud. I have noticed running a sprocket guard/rotor guard instead of a skid plate helps a lot in mud/sand. My guess would be both quads would get stuck at the same spot in the big 4x4 mud hole, as long as tires were the same.

Since it seems that the warrior isn't saving you any money by you and you have a lot of mud, then maybe a wolverine is a better quad. I've seen some videos of those chewing there way through some thick mud. The newer wolverines switch in and out of 2x4 and 4x4 (open front diff tho..)too, so the sport quad feel is still there when you want it, but if the mud gets bad, you can still get by.

Nice

Nice pic and nice quad. I would only go true 4x4 if I go down that route. I mean if I'm gonna drive a heavy tank, it might as well have all the bells an whistles. Think I will keep my eye out for best deal yr to dollar ratio for a warrior or ex.

Back