Hello from Fairfield county, Ohio!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avenger

Reaction score
hello, my name is John. I am 23 and i just bought my first quad..i had been riding my step dads quads for a long time and i wanted one of my own so i saved for one and finally got it! Its a 1999 Yamaha Warrior, and i joined this site to learn everything i could about them! It runs great..doesnt steer like what im used to..one tire seems to turn before the other one if you jack it up and look and depending on which way you turn one doesnt turn as far.. im gonna maybe try to align it soon..nothing is bent or loose..i checked that when i had it jacked up. I work on cars but never have worked on a bike or quad so this will be a good learning experience.. also what part of the chain do you check tension on.. and if its loose how do you tighten it..it doesnt seem loose when riding it but the part going closest to the top of the quad seems loose but it could just be me..because im sure its not supposed to be tight like a bicycle chain..anyhow im looking forward to my time here learning and having fun sharing experiences of fixing and riding yfm350s!

Welcome to the forum. The turning issue you are describing is normal, due to the travel of an atv's front end, the tires naturally toe in and out as the suspension cycles and the one side will turn more than the other always. Chain tension is described in the owner's manual. If you don't have one, I'd recommend you get a Clymer Manual, they are very helpful and detailed. The chain is suppose to have slack in it though.

The chain should have about 1.5" of slack measured at the top of the chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. The turning issue you are describing is normal, due to the travel of an atv's front end, the tires naturally toe in and out as the suspension cycles and the one side will turn more than the other always. Chain tension is described in the owner's manual. If you don't have one, I'd recommend you get a Clymer Manual, they are very helpful and detailed. The chain is suppose to have slack in it though.

after riding it a good bit at a friends house..Ive now seen it has a leak in the stator cover area..could be the oil filter cap leaking..someone gooped RTV all over it.. i dont think they used gaskets... so ill have to scrape it off probably and do it the right way..im going to ride it this season the way it is (which i dont get to ride too often) and keep adding oil and then this winter give her a bit of an overhaul! I think when i change the oil this winter im going to use rotella 15-40 as ive heard that its actually a great oil for quads. I just ordered a clymer manual on ebay so it should all work out and be easy! i am going to tension the chain a bit before i ride again as it is a little loose but i know how to do that..but im glad ill have a winter project this year :) :tup:

IIRC the oil filter cover has an o ring.

Anyone know the part number for it so I can order it? Because o can tell it's been rtv gooped because it's sticking all around the outside of it.

Back