Handlebar switch issue I think

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyde78

Reaction score
Well today I went to use my machine and its like my starter button doesn't work. I don't know what changed in the 12 days since I rode last; but she won't even crank. I have a fully charged battery that's always on a trickle charge. I have power to my headlights & neutral light; but does nothing when i hit the start button. What should I test out first? I'm convinced it's a bad button but could it be the solenoid? Would I still have power to my lights and all? Thanks for any input anyone can give me.

Check your switch with a multimeter to see if it is working, mine was corroded when I first got the bike and it wouldn't start it because the start button wouldn't make a connection. If it's a bad solenoid, you should still be able to jump it and the bike will turn over.

I'm kinda unclear as to how to check the switch. Clymer kinda vaguely goes thru it. So I connect multimeter set to ohms on the proper connections; but what am I looking for? No resistance; and then resistance when I hit the switch to on?

I think (hopefully I'm remembering this right...) you have it backwards. The switch completes the circuit. So without holding the button, you should get resistance. With the button pressed in, the circuit is completed and your multimeter should read no resistance. And yes, use ohms.

OK got it. Yeah after I typed that I realized I had it backwards. Thanks trent. Went to visit my nana for dinner so I'll test that tonight when im back and find out

I doubt you have to buy a new one. You can take the old one apart and clean the contacts.

The wires running from the switch rubbed against the frame and and got cut into. I wrapped it up in some black electrical tape and she works just fine. Thanks Trent for your help. Really glad it was something so easy. Now I'm noticing a bad creak coming from my carrier whenever I cut it left or right pushing her around the driveway. Looks like I need new axle bearings. Now I'm scared to go riding this Sunday. Kinda blows. Solve one problem and catch another. Why can't this happen over the winter!? Rear axle bearings are gonna be a BITCH

Yea definitely doing that. Bet ya mine haven't been touched in 20 years. Really disheartening and not looking forward to it at all...sucks da ball sac man

It's something to do with my chain adjusters. Been tinkering around with it for a bit. I'll figure it out hopefully

Latest posts

Back