top end gasket replacement

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammy7734

Reaction score
i have a 94 warrior that has had no motor work done to it and the gaskets are leaking oil and i was wondering if i should do anything else while i have it apart i know that i need to replace the valve stem seals. but should i put a new piston and rings in? should i go after market or oem? lastly is there any special tools i need? i know the fly wheel puller but anything other than that. my budget is about $200.
thanks any input would be greatly appreciated since i am have never had a motor apart but i am more mechanically inclined than most people but i am new to the ATV world.

I just had a friend work on mine who did most of the work. Started out as valve adjustment, turned out the cylinder had already been bored to max and was wearing out bad. Whole new top end later I'm in good shape. Cylinder and piston alone was 240. Total spent 550ish.

I'd throw a wiseco piston in; stock bore; and a stage 1 hot cam with a new timing chain. That's if you wanna do the work; and have the right tools. If you want quick; and aren't interested in a project; change that gaskets and adjust your valves. Its really up to you..To be; or not to be; Dedicated.....

i can do it i was just looking for some advise on should i go oem or aftermarket i am not looking for a high compression set up. but should i put a cam and valves and springs in. i just need advise on what parts to buy.

Get a Wiseco piston and stage one hot cam. You won't need new springs. Probably cost the same as OEM. Check out wiseco website; not too bad for a kit.

I was just telling you what it cost me. Top end kit alone was 240 plus a timing chain was 40. O-rings needed to be replaced once we got in there and saw them, plus the cost of oil, etc. Was just trying to help.

ok i know thanks nukacola. i will plan on doing a timing chain depending on how it looks. thanks to every one who has help i think i am going to get a wiseco pro-lite stock bore piston and a stage one hot cam and cam bearings and will eventually get a hmf performance slip on. i know this is above my budget but i have the money (just don't want to spend it all but why not)and while i have it apart so i figured i would do every thing right away in one shot.i just want to get it done before summer:atv:

yeah i was just going to ask about the springs but i found this http://www.motosport.com/wiseco-prolite-piston-kit-4stroke
wondering if i need anything else i know i need to do valve stem seals they are already bad but is there any special tools i need

They don't say what the compression ratio is on that piston. On wiseco website they have three for a standard bore; 10:25:1, 11:1, & 12:1. Call them up & find out exactly what they got going on with that before you buy.

the valve stem seals that cause smoking when cold is it the circled one
Screen%20shot%202015-02-04%20at%205.51.56%20PM_zpskvtabkqx.png

Back