R/R Cam chain, Stator, Flywheel key (etc) w/pic's

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonp

Reaction score
The biggest thing here guys is take your time, and do it right. If you don't have the right tool for the job go get it. It will make your life much easier. Keep everything clean! You don't have to pry or use excessive force on any of this stuff... if you are then you will break something.
Good luck! Have fun and I hope this helps some of you guys that are a little worried about taking your fourwheeler appart. It's really simple just use your head and take your time. I also hope this saves you guys some money.

There are actually a couple of things that you can apply this to if you have to pull the flywheel or cover so I will go there. I have to pull the stator appart anyway because my source coil is bad so I decided it was a good time to get adjustable cam sproket and new cam chain as I got new valve high tension valve springs.
I only have a couple hours on the bike so I want to keep this oil in it for now. So I propped it up using two 5 gallon pales.
Remove the engine cam cover making note of the o-ring on the cover. Remove the engine crankshaft bolt cover (6mm allen wrench). Loosen up the cam bolt (17mm I believe) before taking the crankshaft bolt out.
Make sure and have your 8mm socket ready!

warriorside1.jpg

Remove the flywheel bolt and seal/bearing/flywheel stay.

sealflybolt.jpg

Remove the cam tensioner... nut first then spring. Then you can remove the body of the tensioner, 8mm bolts. This is where you can tell how worn the chain is by looking at how far the adjuster is out. Mine was a little more then half way so not to bad but I thought it would be a good idea anyway. :)

camtensioner.jpg

Find the other end of the stator electral plugs and unplug them.
Remove the bolts, 8mm that hold the stator engine cover to the engine making note which bolts go where and how long they are.
Use both hands to wiggle the cover off slowly. Sometimes the gasket will hold it on and they have have to take a rubber hammer to it break it loose.
stator.jpg

Here you'll see how just to replace the stator. Pretty simple. You may have to use a impact drive to get thoughs bolts out as there locked in there pretty good.

stator2.jpg

Next we move on to the flywheel. Put the crankshaft bolt back in the crank and then put the puller on. It takes quite of bit of force to break it loose and if the bolt is not in there it will mushroom out the crankshaft and could damage it.
pullingflywheel.jpg

flywheel2.jpg

Next pull the one way cluch off. (by hand) Now you'll see the cam chain.
1wayclutch.jpg

Here you can see the flywheel key if you where to be replacing it with an advance key. I like to use just a little dab of loc tite so when pressing the flywheel on the shaft the key will not move. It's hard to get out this way but we don't need to, to replace the chain.
key.jpg

Pull the cam gear off and don't be affraid and let the cam chain fall. You'll use a piece of wire to bring the other chain back up.
camgear.jpg

Next let the cam chain fall to the crankshaft. And just work it out with your hands.

timingchain.jpg

.......... More to come when I get the parts......

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the D.I.D. cam chain in and the front sproket today in the mail... I had to buy a new Rental front sproket because the stock one was just about stripped out and we ride so slow that the 15T is just to big in some spots on the trail... I really don't want to waste on the clutch. I'm waiting now for the Stator and Adjustable cam gear which should be hear Friday... So maybe by the weekend if I'm not up at the cabin 4 wheeling.

Like Dave-o said Megacycle makes them and I bought it through CWR. Pretty nice guy...
After putting in my thinner head and base gasket thus making the cam timing retarded I thought it would be a good idea to get the cam at least with in spec and maybe try advancing it a couple of degrees.

When pushing/installing the flywheel have the wrenches on the same side so your not putting any extra side load on the crank
what excatly are you meaning by put the wrenches on the same side??

Let's say your loosing the crankshaft bolt. . . You have a wrench holding the flywheel stay and the other pushing down on the nut one on either side of the crankshaft(9 o'clock postion and the other at the 3 o'clock, pushing down on both of the wrenches). You are now putting or excurting force on one side of the crankshaft. And you don't want to do that. You don't want to bend it. There's a bearing in the stator cover for a reason. It's to support that side of the crankshaft. When this is off you have to be carefull! So that's why you put both wrenches together, so your putting less load on the crank and more into the bolt.

lol its an old thread but damn that's a CLEAN WARRIOR.

I just changed my flywheel but noticed that the fly wheel key is missing...how do I take it off my old motor so I can put it on this one? really new at this and want to make sure I do it properly

Its jut a wooddrift key. It sits the that slot. I bet it came off when you the orig flywheel off. Look around or in the old flywheel, it has to be around. Engine won't run without that key.

THX deadlast...guess I'll look around or I'll take the one from my other motor

just noticed this section now...lots on here to help...will this section help me rebuild it even if I'm a newbie at this or should I still have it done by a pro?

be sure to check in stator oil port you do not want that key in your bottom end lose somewhere

feel like an idiot asking but where is the stator oil port?

told ya I'm a newbie and all those technical words

Back