Not starting...1987 yamaha warrior 350

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwatson

Reaction score
I'll appreciate any advice! I've had this quad for a couple of years now. Started having starting issues. Now won't start, it just clicks the solenoid.

* Battery charged and verified by O'reillys and Autozone to be a good battery. Yes... I did go to both.
* Starter Selenoid New
* Starter New
* CDI never changed
* Rectifier never changed

Just tried jumping the ATV battery to starter with jumper cables and it turned over. So this is an issue after the solenoid to the starter?

Tried something else. I connected just the jumper cables to the negative battery terminal and then to the case of the starter where it bolts onto the quad. It still turned over great but will not fire.

There also is no spark to the plug.... are we possibly looking at CDI Box?

Did a meter test on the solenoid relay without hitting the start button.... reading was 10.67. Should it be that low?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Sounds like either a cdi issue or a bad ground. Is your coil in good shape. Many factors here. Test to see if you get power to the coil first.

The cdi box would be the last part to replace. Do an ohms test on the stator. Any Clymer book will have the ohms measurements for each year warrior. Also check the coils ohms. The cdi box are rarely the culprit of a no spark issue.

I was able to check out what you asked and got help from a dealer mechanic. The spark and electrical system seems to be working correctly.... except.....

* still need to ground the starter with a jumper cable from negative battery terminal to outer shell of starter...... we are thinking the negative battery cable is bad somehow.

* no gas.... I rebuilt the carb recently and noticed that the side of the carb where the accelerator pump is was dented.... now that I have put new parts in... it won't give any gas. I have had over gassing issues with this atv and should have just ordered a new carb.... which is what I just did.

For anyone out there.... mechanic and the people on this forum told me to check the these items to get an idea of what could be wrong.....

* does your lights work?
If not check first......STATOR - RECTIFIER -WIRING - FUSES
* does your battery test at 12volts or higher without turning engine over?
If not check first......BATTERY
* Take your starter OUT of your quad.....using jumper cables.... jump the starter using a car or other quad by neg to frame and pos to pos post on starter. Remember to hold it down while you do this. Does it spin freely?
If not check first...... STARTER
* did you try jumping the starter solenoid relay with a screwdriver and did the atv turn over?
If not check first......STARTER RELAY - CABLES - FUSES
* take the spark plug out and keep it in the cable but ground the plug's threaded side to the engine.. hold with a rubber tool or position to lay on it's own. Turn engine over... do you see spark?
If not check first......CDI - IGNITON COIL - SPARK PLUG - SPARK PLUG WIRE
* After you have turned engine over and throttled the gas a few times....it turns over but will not fire.... take plug out..... do you smell gas?
If not check first......CARBURATOR

I'm not anywhere near an expert but glad there are people willing to help!

Thank you again.

I was able to find grounding issues. One of the upper engine mount bolts was loose. The other issue was the ignition coil was working then it wasn't. Don't know what happened but need to replace.

***UPDATE****
4/7/2017

I just ended up replacing the everything but the cdi box. I checked the wiring harness and even added a back taillight. There is still no spark from the plug. I guess it's a cdi box I need but this is an 87 and only one size fits!

Question of the day is... can I use a new aftermarket 1989 cdi box that looks the same except one of the connecters would not pair up... I would need to manual wire them together... or do I just have to find another 87 cdi box.

Thank you again for any advice!

Last edited:
I'm at my wits end and need guidance please. All together I have replaced the below parts and still no spark!!!!!

CDI Box, Ignition Coil, Spark Plug, Stator, Rectifier, Starter Selenoid, neutral & reverse switch.

What I do have is lights working, battery at 12.5, turns over but no spark from spark plug. I've checked the harness for grounding issues and changed out the square fuse like relays with a good one to check them also. What could I be missing?

Thank you for any advice.

Did you test your new stator before you installed it?

Yes, and even the old stator was testing correctly unless i'm testing things wrong.... these are Caltric aftermarket stators and the wire colors don't match up to Rick's Stators.

My ohm tester also does not have a 2k setting so I was using the 20k setting. Was that a bad thing?

Thought I would mention also that I replaced the clutch plates with Tusk Kit. Could that be causing issues?

Last edited:
caltric are assholes, i believe that is the one that i fought and fought only to realize the plug had 2 of the wires in the wrong spot. flipped the wires and it ran, for a while. I wont buy anything from them again

caltric are assholes, i believe that is the one that i fought and fought only to realize the plug had 2 of the wires in the wrong spot. flipped the wires and it ran, for a while. I wont buy anything from them again

What two wires did you need to flip? The ones in the 3way or 4way plug and what colors. The last one I bought looks just like this one and the bike ran for 3 years. Thank you.

(3 prong) all white to all white
(4 prong) 2 blue and 2 green from stator
single wire brown from stator to brown
single wire blue from stator to red

Last edited:
Back