Parking Brake Blockoff and Clutch Lever for Raptor

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreed5821

Reaction score
I broke my clutch lever and didn't have a block off for the parking brake so I just removed what was left of the clutch lever and moved the perch with the parking brake over so I could install the new clutch and perch. Here is a quick tutorial of how I removed the parking brake: Ignore the dirty bike...I got it to ride!

The tools needed are a 6mm allen wrench, 4mm allen wrench, 8mm socket or wrench, and wire strippers (optional)
HPIM0836.jpg

Use the 4mm allen wrench to remove the hood:
HPIM0826.jpg

Use the 6mm allen wrench to remove the two bolts on the parking brake. It will then come off. Remove the spring and work the cable out. This makes it easier to pull the cable out toward the front of the quad.
HPIM0825a.jpg

HPIM0832.jpg

At this point you can install the block off plate:
HPIM0833.jpg

Use the 8mm wrench to remove the clamp bolts holding the handle onto the bars:
HPIM0827.jpg

You should be able to work the cable completely free of the quad now:
HPIM0828.jpg

If you replaced the clutch lever with an aftermarket one, you will end up with a wire that won't plug into the aftermarket clutch:
HPIM0831.jpg

This wire keeps the quad from starting in gear without the clutch in. You can simply cut the end off of the wires and connect them together. The quad will now turn over in gear without pulling the clutch so be careful if kids are around it...lol.

If I forgot anything or explained it wrong, please post it.

I know it's simple but hey Death done one on changing oil! :D

Whats simple to some is confusing for others. But this will be a locked tutorial for sure. Thanks kreed.

Ok....

I took off my tank cover and hood and traced the wires back from the clutch perch.

There are four cables:

Clutch
Brake (that goes right back to the rear caliper)
One that goes into the front hood area
Another that goes into the front hood area

The clutch stays.
The brake cable is removed and the block off plate is placed on the rear caliper.
What about the other two cables.

I know that they get unplugged and with one of them you plug the male and female connectors together...but what about the other?

Great tutorial above...but it leaves out a few steps.

Thanks

Are you installing a new perch, or just removing the pb and keeping the stock perch?

Either way, when you trace the sensor wires down to the wiring harness under the hood one sensor will have a single plastic connector, and the other sensor will have 2 spade connectors. If you are keeping the stock perch all you need to do is unplug the one with the single plastic connector and you're done. If you are replacing the entire perch and need to bypass both sensors you also need to unplug the 2nd sensor with the spade connectors, then you plug the harness into itself (the spade connectors are one male, one female, so they fit right together without any trouble)

I have a new Moose Racing clutch perch on order...but it's not here yet.

I'll give it a try tomorrow evening with the stock perch.

Thanks

nice tutorial, but what about a warrior? is the process the same, because that parking brake lever thing you took off looks nothing like what i have on my warrior. mine has the one where you push the little button in and pull the clutch lever in. so whats the deal and what good does this mod do?

It's still the same concept, they just look and function a little differently. There are a few reasons to remove the pb, one being that the parking brake is a pain in the ass to work around when you're changing brake pads. The parking brake needs constant attention to work properly, and the parking brake sensors can get stuck and cause people to get involved in all kinds of troubleshooting to figure out what is wrong with their quad when it's just that junky sensor the entire time. It'll also shed a few pounds, which is never a bad thing when the machine is as heavy as a warrior.

okay. i might have to do that then. when you do it to a warrior, do you remove the thing thats on the perch or does it just stay there?

I would recommend tossing the entire stock perch and getting an aftermarket one, they look and work better. Check out my clutch perch and lever, it was only a $20 setup and it pulls smoother and easier (and looks a hell of a lot better)
cfclutch_t2006_2_9_20_45_50_q75_f8_600x400.jpg

If you want to keep the stock perch it doesn't really matter if you take the parking brake stuff off of it, but i'd take it off, it'll look a little better and it won't be flopping around while you ride.

right on. with that new perch, did you have to put a new cable in or did you reuse the stock one? also, where did you get that one and how well does it pull? looks good man.

ok i just re-read your post and saw that you said it pulls smooth. never mind. its late and im a dumbass!

On mine, there was only two cables (one for the clutch and one for the parking brake) and one wire (the one that keeps it from starting in gear without the clutch pulled). I tried to trace the wire back and traced it to where it goes into a bigger bundle of wires that then go into the battery area so rather than pulling out all of that, I just cut and spliced them up front...lol. The cable on the parking brake was simple to trace, but once you unhook it in the back, you can pull it through from one retaining bracket to the next until it is completely free. I haven't had the chance to look at a warrior to see how much difference there is, but that is how it was on mine. I don't think I could have left out anything because I was taking pics everytime I would do something.

I take that back, there was some sort of thread compound on one of the bolts so I cleaned that out of the hole...lol You can see the white stuff that looks like teflon tape in one of the holes in the pictures.

right on. ill check on my warrior when i get the chance to ride again. ive got a clymer manual too, so ill look at the wiring diagrams and should be able to figure out the wiring situation. thanks

You can use a stock cable, but if yours is more than a few years old it would be a good investment to get a motion pro terminator clutch cable, they also make the pull smoother and easier, and aren't expensive.

The warrior will have 2 cables, and wires for 2 sensors. With an aftermarket perch you end up with only one cable, and no wires.

one is for the parking brake rev limiter, the other is the clutch sensor.

Ok...I finished off removing the PB setup.

I plugged the male and female wires together and left the larger white plug alone.

Works perfect!

Now I just need for my Moose Racing Fly clutch perch to get here.

hey yall. i got a question that might be stupid, but what is a "hot start" lever? im looking at new clutch perch setups and im seeing ones with hot start levers and im not sure what that is. anyone know?

the hot start is for machines that have a carburetor with a hot start feature I think, like for the big bores that refuse to start easily when the engine gets hot.

Back