High Idle problems

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19echo95

Reaction score
Ok so I just got everything put back together from my top end rebuild and it fired up but it's idling high. The throttle cable is adjusted all the way out and it still has the lever in the carb sitting about a half inch above the idle adjustment. I didn't mess with anything while it was apart and I don't think it was idling this high before I took it apart. Anyone have any ideas on what to do? Also, the head was ported but I don't think that would cause any problems on the idling side of things.

Did you try adjusting your idle. ? And is your carb jetted for your mods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adjusting the idle won't do anything because when the throttle is at idle there is nothing sitting on the idle screw. I was told last night that sometimes if an engine is running lean that it'll cause high idle problems. I'm gonna go later today and mess around with the carb a little to see if that will helpm

Check the cable make sure its sittitng in the flanges right where the plastic and the metal come together.

The cable is sitting right I checked that today. If I restrict some air to it it'll idle correctly so maybe I need to mess with my mixture?

Ok so, I've been messing around with the carb a little and some how my throttle cable appears to be to short. I could have swore that before the rebuild it was idling fine. If I take the throttle cable off it idles fine. The header still seems to be getting a little to hot but I can probably solve that with more tuning. So I guess I'm gonna have to find a new cable. Anyone have one just laying around?

adjust the throttle cable slack either at the carb or throttle lever

adjust the throttle cable slack either at the carb or throttle lever
I've done that and it was adjusted all the way out and it was still sitting at about 1/2 throttle. Its just to short for some reason.

You supposed to adjust the nut so it's in toward the carb.

You supposed to adjust the nut so it's in toward the carb.

I know, I meant the cable was adjusted as far as I could go. Sorry for the confusement

I know, I meant the cable was adjusted as far as I could go. Sorry for the confusement

Well then I guess a new cable would be the next item

That's really the only thing I can think of. I'm gonna order it sometime this week and hopefully that'll solve my problem.

So, does anyone know why I would just randomly need a new cable? I swear that it idled fine before the rebuild.

Back