87 Swing warm swap

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzo

Reaction score
I looked. I tried using google and the search engine for a few hours over two days before I started a thread and asked...

I have an 87 Warrior 350 I just got a few nights ago. Been going over it top to bottom. oil change, flushed it, filters, plug, this that etc...

Anyways.. Can I put a second gen swing arm on it? Like will it fit, and just swap over (I realize I will need the brake setup and a longer chain)

I saw lots of little bits of info but NO straight answers... Lots of "Will a banshee swap over" And answers of... Why would you wanna do that...

So again.. Can I swap an 89+ swingarm right on this thing?

I will post up some pics tomorrow. Still have one cable to replace, the plug to do and lube up all the cables. Then I will take a few pics to share.. Here's one to tide you over..

This picture is when it was at the previous owners house. I have done a bit of clean up since

We'll you would actually be better to keep the 87 the first gen swingers are +1 inch of the newer ones so if you switched to a newer one you would actually need a shorter chain I would keep the first gen

Lol yeah that's what I meant. A shorter chain.

Question still wasn't answered tho. Is it a direct swap (besides chain and keeping brake from second gen..)

I read they were 1 inch longer. But, some parts places don't carry certain parts. I'd rather not mod a second gen carrier bearing etc when the time comes.

Today I got it all done. New clutch cable, plug, oil flush and fresh with new filter, carb rebuild etc. Bearings and tie rods all still feel super tight. No blow out rubber seals etc. I'm excited! I got a flag for her so I can take it to sand lake once and a while. I ride mostly dirt tho.

Some before shots... I have put in a **** ton of work, sanding, cleaning, flushing, tuning, rebuilding, more cleaning, filters, plug, etc etc... The plastics were stained. I couldn't wash it off. Not with anything. Purple power, degreaser, So... 320 grit.... Took me a few hours

Anyways. Before shots.

And some after shots. I'm done with it now. Just need to go fill her up with some premium and go ride!

Thanks guys!

I did the full tune up carb rebuild motor flush etc... Always should do that with getting a used bike. You never know.. And you can learn a lot about what kind of life it had that way. Spent some time on cosmetics yesterday. I want to replace the gas tank plastic and maybe the hood also. we'll see. I figure right now I just want to go ride it and see how it does mechanically... Engine wise, suspension steering wise. Everything is super tight like it should be. Bearings don't wiggle. Ball joints or whatever are tight. No rubber is deteriorated.

Tomorrow I go out for a ride at the beach. I'll report back how it went when I get back. New rims/tires are in the future for this as well. I wish these were in better shape. The rears are OK, but the fronts have some dings in the bead area. They hold air well. but looks like they been curbed or something lol...

Tires still roll straight tho from what I could tell. I need some paddle tires... Rims are kind of a PITA to come across, at least on the portland CL.

I can't remember the last time I had this much fun. I ran the tires down to about a half lb of pressure. I really need some sand paddles. But I was able to second gear and pin it for the most part up the hills. On flat ground I could be 5th and tapped wide open... I couldn't make it out the steep part of the bowl. I also couldn't do any tree shots. Ah well. about 6 hours of riding today. Burned thru 3-4 gallons of premium on the bike. still has some left in it. I think if I didn't have to second gear pin it for take offs and such it wouldn't be so bad.

I do believe the clutch is going out. It's right at the tip and adjusted all the way out on the cable. I will get one of those on order. On with the pics...

well... you know how it works. Play hard, work hard.

Took her out the other day and got on the ****.. hard!

Blew out the side of the muffler. Blew out the spark arrestor. Forgot to tighten the rear caliper when I bled the brakes, lost a bolt. Luckily had the yamaha tool kit! I just raised it up so it wasn't touching the disc. and wrenched it down. The exhaust screws that hold the heat shield on... One came off! hahaha. Rip and tear. There was something else, too... I'm forgetting... what was it.... IDK.. I picked up some badass ITP sandstars with nice rims. they were about 550 new. Stole em for 130!

So for the time being. I will leave the S/A out. I found a bolt that works in my bolts pile for the caliper. I also found some new bolts for the heat shield. So all is well and back together. I need to figure out the exhaust... Needs replaced. and oh! That's what it was.. The roller for the chain blew out into pieces haha. So I need a new roller for the chain

I also picked up another bike. IDK what I wanna do with it yet. I may throw it up for sale or trade. IDK if i wanna deal with it. 86 LT250R. Literally, a basket case. It's all there tho. If someone wants it let me know, located NW oregon. I will sell/trade it for warrior stuff or other bike related things.

That's my GF on the bike. it was her first time riding a quad. She did ok!

Pics...

the LT

Back