Speedometer bouncing around on 1996 Powerstroke

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcwes8

Reaction score
I know this is a warrior fourm but i have not had any luck on other fourms. Maybe someone here can help since you guys seem to be more help then any other fourm I belong to. I was having transmission problem with my 1996 f250 powerstroke. I read that the vss could be a problem and decided to change it. So I went to the ford dealer and bought a new one. I put it in and it did not fix my transmission problem all it did was make my speedometer bounce around. So I decided to put the old one back in that work fin with no problem but was unable to because the old one used a metal bracket to hold it on that I lost and the new one was designed different and did not use this bracket. So after arguing with the guys at ford trying to return the part I went and bought one from Advanced auto and I had the same problem as with the one from ford. This is really annoying because I cannot use Cruise control on the highway. I am going to be driving From Naval Air Station Oceana (Virginia Beach) to Pittsburgh where my parents live. Then to Marine Corps. Air Station Beaufort South Carolina. I would really to be able to use cruise control and these long trips. Dose any one know what could be causing this problem? Or should i just go buy another one? Any help asap would be awesome since I am leaving next Week.

1996 should be OBD2. Honestly, I'd run a datastream on it to make sure it is getting signals from all speed sensors. If memory serves, there is one in the rear diff and one in the trans. I don't think that truck came with all wheel abs, so there wouldn't be any speed sensors in the front hubs.

What transmission issues are you having?

There is one in the trans and the rear diff. but i didnt have problems untill i replaced it trying to fix a tranny problem? its weird

Well I just burnt it up. it turned out the tranny cooler lines were clogged and I burnt it up :(

Back