going OLD SCHOOL!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infantryblues

Reaction score
I've got a 88 moto4 350. don't ask for details, cuz it was used and abused when i bought it, but i blew the header off a while back, have since replaced the head and header, also replaced magneto(flywheel) and stator. once installing that, it won't start. I've already done valve clearances, but i'm at a loss. It turns, i'm getting spark. If i give her a bit of starting fluid, she'll POP, but won't actually fire up. any help would be greatly appreciated.

The parts are factory off exact models, not something off a warrior and something else off a moto...all parts off exact model match.

Doesn't matter the magneto and stator setup changed through the years so if you have the wrong year magneto it won't run.

So, the magneto/stator off an 88 moto4 won't work on my 88 moto4? I mean, EXACT MODEL. I may be relatively new to this, but I'm not stupid.

I don't know who implied you are stupid, so stop making assumptions. I just stated what I thought it was. Exact models doesn't mean same year, just so you know.
Is your valve timing off?

I've done the timing 3 times and checked clearances 2 times. Sorry for the implication, but I thought I was pretty clear by saying exact match. The only thing I can think could be causing my issue would be compression issues, or maybe a bad cdi box. But, if the cdi is bad, I would think that would cause no spark.

Are you sure that the woodruff key for the flywheel didn't get pushed out of it's groove when you installed the flywheel? Flywheel will spin on the crank if that happens.

He means flywheel will spin on the crank not with the crank. In other words it can shift from where it is supposed to be and change the timing of the spark.

****. Such a pain in the ass to take that thing off, too. I guess I'll have to check it and see. I'm seriously thinking it's a compression issue though. I out my finger on the spark plug hole and it pushed, but doesn't pop my finger off.

Get a compression tester from autozone. The regular rental one won't work though. You need to buy the off the shelf one, use it, and return it. The spark plug hole adapters aren't small enough on the rental. Lol

Yeah...I tried the rental already...lol. I'll look into it and see what I can do. Might be a couple weeks though, we're getting ready to move up to MO.

So, I picked up a compression gauge today. Hooked it up and turned the old beast over a few times. What would cause a reading of less than 10psi? I have NO compression it it

Bent valve, hole in piston, cracked/broken rings, engine out of time, bad head gasket, head bolts not properly torqued to spec, broken valve spring.... Time to start going back over your work.

thanks for the good news, lol. Guess it'll have to wait. I'm moving in about a week. So I'll get back with ya'll either when I run into more trouble or when I get her running again.

Where is the best place to go for parts(rings, piston, etc) for a quad this old? And would it be cheaper/easier to find a running used motor than to try and rebuild this well used and probably abused engine?

You first have to find out what the problem is. It may be something stupid, like the timing is off. It could be something major, like a bent valve or damaged piston. Ebay, and this Forum, are you friends. Also, I doubt highly that you can touch a complete, running engine, for the price of a valve job and new valve(s), piston & rings, boring, etc... And, you have NO IDEA what condition that used engine is in. Could last ten years or ten minutes. Not worth the risk. Remember, this engine uses the same top end as the Warrior. Parts are plentiful.

Back