Hard do push in neutral?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truck Norris

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new here but have been using lots of great Information off of here for the last 2 years I've had my warrior.

Just after this last ride my warrior became a lot harder to push when in neutral. This is in the engine forum not the suspension forum because with the chain off the axle turns easily. Something is making the front sprocket hard to turn when the bike is in neutral.

Any ideas what's causing this? It wasn't the chain being to tight and no way it's the rear brake or carrier bearings.

Thanks!

hmmm i dont believe i have ever heard of this one.... it must be a bad bearing in the transmission... is it easier to push with the clutch is pulled in?

edit: i suppose if it is N then the clutch shouldnt be spinning when the fourwheeler is pushed... still would interesting to know tho

Last edited:
hmmm i dont believe i have ever heard of this one.... it must be a bad bearing in the transmission... is it easier to push with the clutch is pulled in?

edit: i suppose if it is N then the clutch shouldnt be spinning when the fourwheeler is pushed... still would interesting to know tho

Pulling the clutch while it's in neutral doesn't change the resistance.

yeah it almost has to be a bearing or something between the clutch and the front sprocket... not a typical problem...

you said with the chain off the axle spins fine... but what about the front wheels? maybe you have stuck front brakes? (hope it is that simple)

yeah it almost has to be a bearing or something between the clutch and the front sprocket... not a typical problem...

you said with the chain off the axle spins fine... but what about the front wheels? maybe you have stuck front brakes? (hope it is that simple)

Never thought to check that! Thanks! I will see about the front.

If it is a bearing some where will this involve splitting the case?

yeah if it is a bearing in the transmission it will mean taking the motor out and tearing it completely apart... im actually leaning a little towards front brakes tho... im not sure you would notice a bearing in the transmission because of the "gear reduction" (actually gear increase when pushing) in the sprockets

Its probably the needle bearings in the transmission gear, i literally just split an engine last week to put a new crank in. When reassembling it, I would bolt the cases together and torque down the bolts, and very time the output shaft would lock up, i couldn't spin it by hand. If i put pliers on the output shaft, i could barely spin it. I about pulled my hair out trying to figure out the problem. Finally I talked with my brother (who has been around warriors since the early 90's and torn many apart and rebuilt) said there is a problem with the needle bearings inside this gear cluster that push out and make it hard to push the quad in neutral. Low and behold, i took it apart (for about the 10th time) and the one needle bearing was sticking out past the gear just a little bit. I pressed the needle bearing back in, reassembled the case halves, and amazingly the output shaft spun super easy. Do like bomber said and check your front end, but my money is on those needle bearings. Here is a link to the gear cluster with the needle bearings on both ends. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Warr...ash=item2a7d226b5f:g:ZA8AAOSwGBtZY5oP&vxp=mtr

The front end is free as can be..

So what's involved in checking those needle bearings?

Thanks for the help guys

chain off, carb off, stator unplugged, starter unhooked, N and R wires unhooked

front fenders, gas tank plastic, gas tank removed, to get to top motor mount,

then i believe it is just 2 more motor mount bolts

drain oil, get motor out, then take the stator housing off and the clutch cover, and the head and the cylinder

basically the most in depth job you could get into

Wow that sucks. How long could I run it before it becomes a complete failure? What damage will occur if I just keep riding.

if i knew the answer to that i would probably also know the winning numbers for the powerball

This is the one i just had torn apart, it's the gear cluster the on the furthest bottom left in the gear case. It can be nerve wreaking to think about, but as long as you have to correct tools and a paper book manual, its not that bad. I would have this engine completely back together if the machine shop would ever finish the cylinder and refreshing of the head.

But like bomber said, you will be tearing the engine completely down. Within 15 seconds of this picture all the gears can be out, with only bearings left in the cases. I dont know what would happen if you kept running it, i imagine the needle bearings would get a ton of heat, my parts engine i took the crankshaft out of, the needle bearings were completely gone and the had cases messed up some, not to mention the gears looked awful i guess from the needle bearings going through them.

Attachments

• NCM_0338.jpg
    NCM_0338.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 11
Should the rear wheels spin super easily when in neutral with the quad jacked up? What I'm trying to say is like if I spin them hard and fast should they be able to do a couple rotations on there own with little resistance or is it normal for them to just turn about as much as I push them. I hope what I'm asking makes since to you.

The reason I'm asking is because when I lube my chain I usually jack the quad up and have my daughter turn the tires so I can spray the chain in the one spot oil won't get on the atv. She says it's not any harder to turn them than it used to be be. But she is 6 so I'm not sure she's the best intell haha.

Last edited:
thats really hard to tell because it is going to depend on the condition of your chain and how tight it is...

thats really hard to tell because it is going to depend on the condition of your chain and how tight it is...

Yeah I know. It just seems to feel harder to spin the tires than normal. Maybe I'm wrong. Say the rear is in the air and you give the tire a good wheel of fortune spin. Should it rotate a couple time or just pretty much stop?

There's got to be a more precise way to measure this. What if I take my chain off and use a torque wrench to spin the front sprocket to see how many ft/lbs it takes to spin the sprocket in neutral. Then someone else could do the same and we could compare notes? Anybody willing?

If it is the bearing would it be in this kit? If not any idea on a part number? If I'm tearing into it I'm going with a stroker crank.

page doesnt load for me.. .and if it is a stroker crank that the link points to i highly doubt it is going to come with the bearing...

my advise to you would be to find someone local that knows a good amount about fourwheelers and see what they think of the resistance it has to pushing

page doesnt load for me.. .and if it is a stroker crank that the link points to i highly doubt it is going to come with the bearing...

my advise to you would be to find someone local that knows a good amount about fourwheelers and see what they think of the resistance it has to pushing

No the link was a hot rods transmission bearing kit.

Back