New member from Canada.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathius

Reaction score
I was given a link to these forums as a response to a project I have going on E2S.

I have had my 87' Warrior for about 5 years now, and it's been nothing but a pain in my ass!!
After it let me down on the trails last summer I decided it was time for a motor swap.
I just found the 350 4 stroke to frustrating, and expensive to work on.. So on to the 2 stroke I went.

I found an old (running) 83' Yamaha IT490 at a decent price, and stripped the motor and wiring out of it for my Warrior.

Now my project is still in the early stages, and I don't have much to show. But I have the mounts welded in, and just finished rebuilding the 490.
I have a couple of pics of where the build is at now, and I'll start a thread about it if anyone is interested. :rock:

Last edited:
Welcome! wicked build!

Sorry you werent on here sooner we could have save you some pain and agony on the 350 but good luck my man!

Welcome! wicked build!

Sorry you werent on here sooner we could have save you some pain and agony on the 350 but good luck my man!

Thanx.. I might need some luck. lol

As far as the 350 goes, I think the swap to the 490 was a good move. It's a good 30-40lbs lighter, makes more power than my bored out 4 stroke with a hot cam did, has the torque to pull like a 4 stroke, and is way easier, and cheaper to work on..

My only regret is the loss of reverse.

BAD ASS! Warrior two smoker. Its gunna be a fun one! Nice mod on the swingarm. Well done. Keep us in the loop.

Whats E2S thou?

Hey your doin what a few of us have talked about

Well the build has gone fairly smooth so far. The only future problem I foresee is the swingarm..
I had to hack into the left tube to line up my sprockets. I feel it may have compromised the strength of it?
I'm looking at getting the swingarm shop to build me a custom piece when I have some extra money..

Also the 490 2 stroke is known for severe vibrations, and I hope the welds on my mounts hold? Only time will tell. I have to put it back together, and get it running first.. lol

Well the build has gone fairly smooth so far. The only future problem I foresee is the swingarm..
I had to hack into the left tube to line up my sprockets. I feel it may have compromised the strength of it?
I'm looking at getting the swingarm shop to build me a custom piece when I have some extra money..

Better yet, have 87 make you a Hansen Fab swingger. Get a bad ass swingger and you get to convert the rear end to a honda style hub!

start a new one in the pictures thread and keep us updated with pics. try filling the frame with foam and maybe rubber in the mounts

Well the idea of filling the frame with foam has been dancing around in my head the last couple of weeks. But I'm a bit leery about drilling holes in my frame to pump it in there..
I'm also planning to use anti vibe rubber washers between the mounts, and the motor. I'm also gonna drill out the mount holes to 3/8's to beef things up some. :iagree:

you should be good then maybe throw some gussets on and get a good suspension to minimize shock to the frame

That thought crossed my mind to, but I really don't have the room on the tubes to add a gusset. (nothing that would really add strength)
I way over fabbed it as is, "everything" is heavy gauge steel. The bottom mounts are made outta 1/4 inch plate, and I double welded every mount.. lmao

The mounts are stronger than the frame.

Back