new guy with a rappy

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon2325

Reaction score
hey whats up everybody, im jonathan from south mississippi,i ve been lurking on this site for a few weeks now reading alot of the tech articles and different set ups that everyone has so i finally decided to join. i bought a raptor 350 about a month ago and ive fallen in love with it. right now its mostly stock (that i can tell) except for a 14 tooth front sprocket and a motion pro twist throttle. the exhaust has the baffle removed and what looks like some holes drilled in the inside for more airflow.. :???: but it does sound pretty good so it'll do for now.

i've noticed recently that its beginning to smoke under heavy throttle and when i let off at high speeds so i see an engine rebuild in the near future. i've never tore into any kind of atv engine before but i work on heavy machinery for a living so it shouldnt be too hard to figure out.. but i just want to stick with the stock stroke for now, i was thinking about going with a JE 85mm replacement and maybe 12.1 compression, (i know i'd have to run 105+). along with a programmable cdi, k&n filter, and exhaust. not sure which cam would be best but all suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 14
Welcome to the site. I say the rings are getting bad and it will only get worse. I say go with the JE 10.50:1 piston. Up to you thou. Depends what u ride in for the came, tight trails open fields ect. A web .390 cam is a good mid cam and wont loos alot of bottom end. The .430 and .450 cams are for all top end. Web, powroll, megacylce, and Hotcam are the main brands to choose from.

Welcome you came to the right place .I'm new here too but there alre a lot of guys here with lots of knowledge ..again welcome

I would stay away from a high compression piston. Race gas is SO expensive. I'd get an HC2, ModQuad or ProDesign Intake, HMF Exhaust, maybe a HotRods 397 Crank and Piston and a BigGun Rev Box, that is a $1,400 build... Welcome to the site, it is nice to see another Rappy on here!

I would stay away from a high compression piston. Race gas is SO expensive. I'd get an HC2, ModQuad or ProDesign Intake, HMF Exhaust, maybe a HotRods 397 Crank and Piston and a BigGun Rev Box, that is a $1,400 build... Welcome to the site, it is nice to see another Rappy on here!

Unless he wants to do a full rebuild theres no reason to do the 396, Id just get the JE 10.5:1 or Wiesco 10.25:1. You still run pump gas with both. As for the rev box, if memory serves me right they are just relabeled procoms. Which are pieces of ****.

Just because he said he was going to get one. I have heard some people have luck, and some get no change.

Welcome to the site dude. Enjoy!

As 87warrior said, a lot of these engines potential is in the head. Cam and valves, P&P and airflow really help. Do a compression test to see if your getting cylinder leak or if your smoking issues is from carbon buildup on the valves.

$1400 engine build for a bike I paid $1300 for.. lol no thanks, and i don't really want to split the case, just a top end build. and thanks for all the input guys

im still thinking 12:1 since race fuel is fairly easy to get around the house, but does anyone know what kind of power differences to expect between 10.5:1 and 12:1?

I dont think you will get a big difference, maybe 2hp for a stock size piston. For $1,400, you will go from 24hp to 35hp. Why would you have to split the cases?

Split the cases to but the stroker rod in.

For a few hundred; get a P&P, cam, valve job, bore and piston. Upgrade your intake and exhaust first if you haven't done so already.

If I was you id stay away from messing with the crank I've been there and destroyed that but if you do vhange cranks stay away from weisco cramks I broke one of those in 6 months destroyed a good valve train and about 2 moths of haggling with weisco it destroyed about 600 buchs worth of head parts

I didnt think you had to split the cases with the HotRods kit.

im still thinking 12:1 since race fuel is fairly easy to get around the house, but does anyone know what kind of power differences to expect between 10.5:1 and 12:1?

You won't feal a big increase in power with high compression untill you get the head work done
The head is allllll stoped up from factory and won't let these motors breath fix that and boy will it run good

Latest posts

Back