01 Raptor shock installation

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam4by4

Reaction score
Note*

This install was on a 1987 Warrior!

Remove seat

Remove airbox and carb/snorkel boots

use floorjack on mid frame to remove weight on rear tires

remove top and bottom shock bolts

remove spacers and place onto 01 raptor shock

reinstall new shock (May need to lift the quad a little higher due to 2.75 inch higher stance)

Reinstall airbox and boots tighten /check and adjust preload as needed

Im 245lbs and I aired the warrior about 6ft and had no problems with bottoming out. Even jumping up and down on the grab bar I cannot get it to bottom out!

Easier to wheelie as well due to much better stiffer shock!

it works fine, you shouldn't have to cut anything off... and i do agree that the 01 raptor rear works superbly on warriors

I just installed mine today, so I figured i'd snap some pics to add to the tutorial. And i'm having trouble with the chain roller too, I guess i'll be cutting that off sometime.

Here's how it sits with the stock shock:
e27dc02916397ccb62e5f9178b8217de.jpg

dbfa03b62900f4a65836b09fd475ffda.jpg

After the seat, plastics, and airbox are stripped off:
d53c8c808f9dc214bd13f9bd5013161a.jpg

After the shock is removed:
3652a0c1e4b08171cd970d7ad12a5183.jpg

A comparison of stock vs 660:
7ab833fdc4eaf9dc37ac7c663fd9fcc5.jpg

After the install:
ad1b021e13fa9a5800b891853529da06.jpg

b5b6bdd65ac646b069acdd4643d69b55.jpg

It's a vinyl decal sold in sheets, I think it's made by Factory FX but i'm not sure.

Is the raptor shock longer than the warrior shock?

okay, i have a question about this swap. i have an adjustable lowering link on the rear of my warrior atm. can i still do this swap and keep the link or do i need to put the factory link back in? also, if the swap will help with bottoming out on jumps what would be a good front shock swap to go with it?

I got mine put on Christmas day and its great only thing is you have to tighten the chain ALOT but thats no big deal

Is the raptor shock longer than a Banshee shock? I have a banshee shock on mine and it's great, but it could be longer.

Tyler said:
I got mine put on Christmas day and its great only thing is you have to tighten the chain ALOT but thats no big deal

with a 12T front sprocket i had to take 3 links outta my chain.. 2 would have been enough but i didn't get the hang of the chain breaker tool right away..

I just installed my rear shock. I counted my front sprocket to have 13 teeth. I didn't pay attention to how tight my chain was before the swap but it doesn't seem too terribly loose now. How do I know how many links to take out and how difficult a process is it to do so?

if you can tighten your chain to how it is supposed to be you don't have to take any links out, to take them out you need a chain breaker, you can get one at a atv/motocycle shop

Back