Starting problems with warrior. HELP

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonp

Reaction score
Yeah,
It turns over great.. has good compression, getting gas and has spark. This is really weird. I can get it to start and run just great if I'm push started (starts within a second) but if I try and start it with the switch then it will crank and crank... sometimes I can get it started sometimes not. I have to crank the piss out of it then sometimes it will start. I suppose it's time to check the stator, cdi, or pickup coil.. son of a bitch. Anybody else have this problem or lead me in the right direction? Thanks

Yeah... if another fourwheeler is pushing me then I just dump the clutch and it starts right up.

Try jump starting it -if you do it off a car, don't leave cables on any longer than needed -to much amperage. A weak battery may be cranking it to slow - or possibly starter needs rebuilt "new brushes"

I did try that.. It does seem to help a little bit but still as soon as I get a push.. The thing fires right up. It's really wierd. Considering that when I'm getting pushed I have it in 4 or 5 gear and it barely turns over.

Well I went through and checked out everything. Coil I just replaced with a Hotshot one just because. I don't really know if it was worth it or not.
Source Coil resistance.. spec is 270-330 ohms. I have 481 K ohms! Seems to be a little off.
Pickup Coil resistance.. spec is 171-209 ohms. I have 181 ohms. So with in spec.
I guess I should repace the source coil. Where can I pick a quality one up for a little cheaper then what Yamaha wants? $422.00.. It looks like you have to buy stator and everything! **** if that's the case I just buy a high output one or something and get the complete one from Ricky's?
Also if any of you want to know the spec's for the stator they are .7 to .89. I tested that as well and found that to be good. I had .7 ohms

Duh... if it's the source coil then it's on the stator. I'm looking at complete assemblys at rickystator.com. $150.00 dollars and get you the whole one with factory ends. Wow.

Be careful of cheap stator companies - 9 times out of 10 they DO NOT put out what they should or burn up very quick! I learned this several times trying to put cheap units in customers bikes to try and save them money; its not worth it IMO. Id buy Rick's Motorsport Electric Inc. or OEM.

Pretty awesome.. Replaced it and hit the starter button and started right up instantly. It's been a long time since it did that. Got it hot and tryed it... started right up again. I'm really happy. I'll check output and see how much it puts out.

I think we'll make this one a sticky so it's easy to access if you think your having trouble with you stator.

The reason why you can push start the fourwheeler and have it run is because the CDI has two inputs from the engine to create spark or trigger the coil to fire.. One it uses the source coil when starting or when your pushing the starter button and the engine is turning over.. the CDI uses the source coil as a trigger for telling the coil to spark basically.. If the source is bad then it won't start with the starter button. If the bike is running it uses the other pickup coil for the trigger so this is why you can acutally push start the bike.

my warrior had the same problem.... i took to a local shop and they said the reverse lever was cutting the spark out and thats why it wouldnt start.. so i have to fiddle with the lever to get her to fire up.....try checking that out also...

ive replaced everything on mine you guys gave me a few ideals i am going to try and see if it helps. ive replaced everything still cant get a spark will try some more

Earlier in this topic it is mentioned that the Source Coil resistance should be 270-330, Pick up coil 171-209 and stator .7-.89 . My question is..... 1 is this correct info? And 2 if so does it apply to an 89 warrior as well?

my warrior had the same problem.... i took to a local shop and they said the reverse lever was cutting the spark out and thats why it wouldnt start.. so i have to fiddle with the lever to get her to fire up.....try checking that out also...
so would this effect not having spark at all? ive checked over every thing i can think of but i get no power to the coil. i bought a new cdi box because i was told it went bad becasue there is power going in but none coming out, but it still did not fix it. i am up in the air with this and i have not been able to ride since my last race on aug. 04 any help would great!

Back