First warrior build

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2001cheapwarrior

Reaction score
Well this is my first fourwheeler and first time working on one. Worked on cars for years but nothing like this. First of all I started out looking for a fourwheeler for cheap. I don't have the most money and just can't spend 3 grand on one. So I found a warrior on Craigslist not running and met the guy and got it for 450 bucks. This is when I first got it home. Didn't know much to look for when I went to pick it up but figured it was cheap enough I could come out ahead. Started working on it and it would turn over but not start. Pulled the cam cover to check timing and found the sprocket bolt backed out and the end of the cam broke off. Pulled the cam to check the rest of the head out and found this. The cam was really bad so didn't wanna reuse anything in the head. Ordered a new head, chain, and sprocket. Replaced all that and still wouldn't run right. Would fall on its face with any throttle. Found that it had a 150 jet with a slip on white bros exhaust and a k&n filter. After researching here figured the 150 was too rich. Checked the plug and it was black. Screwed the mixture screw all the way in and started running halfway decent but still like crap. Pulled apart to check valve lash on new head and found lock nuts backed off and cam sprocket bolt backed out again. Put a lockwasher on cam sprocket and locked down the valve adjuster nuts. After that it ran almost perfect. Just waiting for the 147.5 jet to get here and I think I'll be good. Meanwhile I'm trying to clean up some wiring and waiting on a rear caliper cause I bought it without one. This site has become addicting for me. Already did the valve cap and BIC spring mod and have plenty more planned. Also shoutout to Bones for helping me figure out how to post pics. Thanks for all the info.

Cool, good job on fixing it up so far. I'd throw some loctite on that cam sprocket bolt and torque it with a good torque wrench, so it doesn't back out. When I bought my warrior, the same thing had happened to the PO. I have some pics of it in my build thread.

nice build so far man ... by the way you lucked out on that pipe the wb e series is the best warrior exhaust ever made

Thanks guys. Yeah I put some blue loctite on it but that obviously didn't work.lol so I'm gonna pull it back apart soon to make sure everything is still good. Trying to find some front rims and tires cause the tires are shot and he left rim is bent.

So I went and put my 147.5 jet in tonight and checked to make sure my cam bolt and valve locknuts were tight. Put it all together. Went to start it and it ran for a second then cutoff then went to start again and sounded like the timing chain had broke. Tore it apart and found this. The key was completely sheared off. Hoping to go get a new one from the hardware store tomorrow and put it back together.

So I went and put my 147.5 jet in tonight and checked to make sure my cam bolt and valve locknuts were tight. Put it all together. Went to start it and it ran for a second then cutoff then went to start again and sounded like the timing chain had broke. Tore it apart and found this. The key was completely sheared off. Hoping to go get a new one from the hardware store tomorrow and put it back together.

If the hardware store doesnt work another option is a vitos +4 degree timing advance key. I put one in mine and I notice a bit more bottom end power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I looked in to the Vitos key but am hesitant because I don't wanna run high octane and heard it makes it run hotter and don't really wanna do the oil cooler mod right now. I've definitely thought about it though.

Well put the new key in and went to start it up. Cranks right up and runs good but now it's leaking fuel out the overflow hose. I'm guessing it's happening since I put the 147.5 jet in. Not sure why but I'm gonna check it out. If you guys have any suggestion send them my way.

float height has no effect on running rich or not. If you are running rich, your idle and/or main jet are too big.

Yeah I changed it from a 150 main to a 147.5 but then this other stuff messed up. I need to adjust it back. I think I just got a little too crazy with the float adjustment.

Well finally got it running right by adjusting the float back a little bit. Seems to be running a lot better with the 147.5 jet. Started plasti dipping the back fenders and not impressed at all with it so started all over with regular white paint. Went ahead and washed it good before I get all the plastics back on it. Yeah and while I was working on it the other day found a small amount of oil on the case then found this so I'm gonna try to clean it all up and redo it with jb weld. Now I'm sitting here waiting for paint to dry with both my toys looking at me.

Love the ford really nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well went Monday and picked up a frame, front arms spindles and brakes, front wheels and tires, and steering stem. Gonna sandblast the frame and a arms and paint those black. Also just ordered front wheel bearings and seals, rear axle bearings and seals, and steering stem bearing and seals. Gonna be a lot of work to get everything switched over. In case you all didn't see my other post I'm having to do all this cause my frame is bent beyond repair. . .

Got the rear axle out to replace those bearings. The right one came out in pieces so I'm glad I replaced it. Mushroomed the end of the splines and messed up the threads on the end from beating it out. Tried hitting it with a hammer and wood but it just kept busting the wood in pieces. Anyways I got it out and took it to work. Put it in the lathe and made sure it was straight. Fixed the splines and chased the threads on the end and it looks good so far which is good cause I didn't wanna buy an axle. Next step is to put the reared axle back together then rebuild the front hubs and sandblast and paint everything.

Well got the rear axle back in and took the swing arm loose so I can clean it up before putting it on the new frame. Sandblasted the new frame and primed it yesterday. Also just got my new sprockets and chain in the mail. I've got the front hubs rebuilt and painted so hopefully I'll get a lot done on it this weekend.

Back