First ATV, 87 warrior rebuild

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overtheedge86

Reaction score
Figures I would start a thread here to keep a log of my rebuild and maybe find a little motivation as well.

I picked up this 87 after doing some electrical work for a friend. Came with a uni filter, Cobra (?) exhuast and jetted to match. This is the only pic i have before i decided to dismantle the entire bike. I've rode 2 wheels all my life so this is a little new to me.

This is the cause of the slight knock. Amazing the it started and ran good with the motor in this condition.

Ordered a new crank (stock stroke) and a .020 wiseco piston. With the motor out I decided to clean up a little wiring, and do a few maintenance items. One thing led to another and I have a stripped frame ready to sand blast and repaint.

Plans are to paint the frame black, control arms red, new suspension bushings all the way around, Banshee shocks and a basic valve job, port and polish while its apart.

And another 1st gen receives new life. Don't use the Shee shocks. They WILL put the ball joints at a terrible angle, and they will fail.

Thanks for the info. What shocks are recomended for rough trails? I don't ride in mud and I like hauling but through trails. I was hoping oem off a different yamaha to keep cost down.

Not too much out there at all. Works makes the best "cost effective" shocks. I have a pair and really dig em. There are no +2 arms made for 87-88, so don't ask. I built my own;) Weston and I are crunching numbers on using TRX450R lower arms.

Powder coated the frame today. Will have to put pics up tomorrow as i'm just now getting home from work. New crank should be delivered tomorrow and a-arms and swing arm being powder coated after work. Motor will be split this weekend.

Saving another first gen from being parted out. If you need help or have any questions don't be afraid to ask

Stock stroke hot rods crank, .020 wiseco piston.

Do newer warrior shocks fit the first gen, how about rebuilding oem? Ive rebuilt fork tubes before don't think it would be much different.

Alot has happened the past couple days. Frame and swing arm have been powder coated.

Pipe has been polished

Ignore the mess on the car port...

Wiring harness has been gone through and repaired in spots, and reinstalled. Calipers have all been rebuilt, and new pads installed. Today the rear suspension, brakes and carrier were put back together.

Going to pull the carrier/axle again for new bushings and paint. For now its going to stay as is till my wife calms down over the spending. A-arms are with my friend being powder coated today or tomorrow night. New bushing and bearings going in the front aswell. Crank came in, will be splitting the case Friday for the crank and the new piston will hopefully be done by the Sunday.

Can any one explain the spring and valve cap carb mod? I understand the cap is to take up slack in the accelerator shaft, but whats the purpose of the spring?

Yea I'm really bad at keeping up to date. Bike is all back together and I actually took it for a quick ride today. Will try to upload pictures tomorrow. Rear axle bearings just came in that will be next weekend. I still need to clean the plastics up I was going to try the paint thinner and boiled linseed oil for that. My wife was getting on my back about the time and money going into this so I bought her a bayou on Craigslist cheap, then she was on me to finish mine lol. Last thing will be a direct shifter I hate the slip in the linkage, what have the first gen guys been doing to get around the pull start?

There are threads on the direct shifter You are best to get an MSR Steel Folding Banshee shifter, cut the splined crimp end off, "custom" bend the shifter lever itself then weld it back onto the splined end. That's what I, and others, have done. Works great. You may not have to cut and weld because those of use who did it also had to clear the big bear cooler mod.

Old crank being removed.

And a few shots of the (almost) finished project.

Unsure about the rear rack still. I do love to camp and its easy enough to take off because it is ugly, but my grab bar is also pretty banged up and it kind of hides that.
So to recap:
-stripped down to bare frame for rebuild
-cleaned stripped and repainted/powder coated frame, swing arm, a arms and fender stays.
-replaced a arm bushings.
-rebuilt engine (new crank, .020 wiseco, all gaskets replaced, valve seals, port polish and lapped valves.
-polished and repacked exhaust (Cobra)
-rebuilt all calipers
-inspected harness, repaired a previous hack job, greased all connections

Left to do
-Clean / restore plastic (going to try the paint thinner and boiled linseed oil method)
-New decals
-Axle bearings just came will install along with new sprocket set -1 on the front
-replace headlights (rusted out sockets)
-seriously considering the clutch cover oil cooler mod. I've got a small tranny cooler thats fits perfect upfront just not sure about using jb weld to block the oil passage.

Wish list/near future,
-cam (hotcams stage 1, or Web, not sure were to find web)
-skid plates motor and swing arm
-2nd gen shocks and banshee rear

Last edited:
Restored the plastics today, very happy with the result. Sanded from 220 through 2000 then used a rubbing compound/polish. Going to get some decals made for the fenders trying to stay as close to original add possible. Also decided against the rack, although I will hold onto it in case I decide to head out calling for a weekend.

20131117_134106_zps9c614cd7.jpg

20131117_134120_zps52574d76.jpg

Back