How-to: Cam chain

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeessfore

Reaction score
How-to: Cam chain and Vitos Key install

I made a quick how-to since a few members on IG wanted pics of the install.

Remove the engine cam cover

Next remove the engine crankshaft bolt cover. There are 4 6mm allen bolts.

Take out plug and set engine to top dead center.

Remove the chain tensioner (8mm bolts) making sure to loosen the 12mm bolt first.

Remove the cam bolt (17mm) and support the chain with ziptie making sure not to drop it in yet.

Remove the flywheel bolt (17mm) and washer/bearing/flywheel stay.

Remove the bolts holding the stator cover on (8mm) Make sure to put them in order since they are different sizes.

Using the flywheels puller designed for Warriors, thread the puller onto the flywheel.

Taking a 19mm socket and 1/2" impact tighten the center bolt in the puller until the flywheel pops off. (Make sure if your key comes off the crank you find it)

Now you see the clutch that you will remove by hand.

At this point if you are installing the Vitos key. Remove old key and install Vito key with the offset facing toward the front of the quad.

Next let the cam chain fall into the case and just work it out.

Take your new chain and feed it around the crank.

Using a string, grabber, ziptie or whatever you like to fish with. Feed it down the cam cover hole into the case and pull the chain up between the guilds and support it from falling down like earlier.

Replace one way clutch plate

Making sure your key is installed, align your flywheel up with key and push it into place.

Reinstall stator cover and tighten all 8m bolts.

Install flywheel bolt and washer/bearing/flywheel stay and torgue 17mm bolt to 50ft lbs. You will have to use a wrench on the stay to torque it.

At this point make sure your flywheel is top dead center still. If you installed the Vitos key your top dead center will now be 8mm to the right of your original TDC mark

Take cam chain and install around cam gear til it lines up TDC.

Reinstall cam bolt using loctite.

Grab your chain tensioner, make sure the 12mm bolt and spring are removed. Reset the tensioner all the way in. Install the tensioner with two 8mm bolts. Slide spring and 12mm bolt back into tensioner and tighten.

At this point I like to turn over the engine by hand and make sure the timing marks stay lined up.

If everything is lined up correctly reinstall cam cover using the two 6mm allen bolts.

Install the stator cover four 6mm bolts.

Turn the key, flip the switch, hit the button and hold my beer and watch giss bitch run! :slayer:

I maybe forgetting stuff since it was a quick run through. Feel free to add/fix anything I mentioned. :tup:

Last edited:
great job man!! i ve installed mine and was wondering about timing marks!Once again great job!!

Great writeup and great pics! A++++. Have a pic of the difference on the factory TDC mark and the vitos mark? Can you still see both in the view hole? Its a hair over a quarter inch, isn't that about the size of the view hole?

Also if anyone else can post their new timing marks feel free. (T V) mine is like this. Just barely see old and new marks

mine is a little diferent... when all align with the new mark i can still (berarly)see tdc.
I ve mesured about 8mm from tdc
will post my marks this afternon
have you run it?

Mine is 7-8mm like my write up lists

then mine is the same.. although in your picture your gap seems wider

edit: just checked, the gap is the same ( my camera sucks cant take picures so close)

Last edited:
Back