The Tank Build

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agnitsch

Reaction score
Well it's been a while so I figure i should post up some progress shots. I scrapped off most the old paint, added an '02 660r rear shock (notched and reinforced swinger), and race cut the fenders.

Its current state
200.jpg

My race cut
207.jpg

The "NEW" shock
210.jpg

and my favorite pic of it buried in 2' of snow
149.jpg

I currently am waiting on ALBA pro elite nerfs and some douglas g2 beadlocks for the rear

yeah ive got 2 pieces of angle iron on the bottom that forms a U around it and travels the length of the swingarm. I was real worried when i cut it open and saw how thin of material it was made of so i made sure it wasn't going to break. now when it warms up I need to put a couple plates on the inside to stop all the crud from building up

Well the shocks are the same just diff resi mount so I figured I'd try it and the shock was cheap. Someday I will upgrade to those fancy Lonestar style swingers like the rest of the big boys. Just have some other things higher on the list 1st, like pegs, heel guards, bumper, and some front wheels and tires. I've got a plan and if the overtime keeps up i should have the basics done in the next month or so.

Any swingger you get on there is going to have and be notched like that one. You definitely took a lot of the strength out of it. I personally wouldn't ride on that anymore.

Should of went with a banshee or 2001 660 shock.

:loco:

x2 on the not riding it with the swing arm like that.

Ive never seen it in person but just biased on what i know from taking structural design classes for my engineering degree there is no way you could possibly keep the same strenght even of it is reinforced with angle iron. not to mention the stress magnification at every corner of the notch where it was cut. If it hasnt cracked yet it will eventually and then possibly fail completely. If i were you id get a new swing arm and get a banshee shock. its not a question of if it will break but when...

:loco:

x2 on the not riding it with the swing arm like that.

Ive never seen it in person but just biased on what i know from taking structural design classes for my engineering degree there is no way you could possibly keep the same strenght even of it is reinforced with angle iron. not to mention the stress magnification at every corner of the notch where it was cut. If it hasnt cracked yet it will eventually and then possibly fail completely. If i were you id get a new swing arm and get a banshee shock. its not a question of if it will break but when...

X2 even with bracing you took away so much strength

Well the shocks are the same just diff resi mount so I figured I'd try it and the shock was cheap. Someday I will upgrade to those fancy Lonestar style swingers like the rest of the big boys. Just have some other things higher on the list 1st, like pegs, heel guards, bumper, and some front wheels and tires. I've got a plan and if the overtime keeps up i should have the basics done in the next month or so.

I got a "lonestar" style swing arm id sell ya, cheap too! PM me for details

Ok I understand everyones concerns and all, but I'm not too worried for the next short while. I know its not as strong but with my bracing I feel it will last for a while. I used 1/8th in angle and its layerred on the bottom so the sides are 1/8th thicker and the bottom 1/4. I know c channel is not as strong as boxed but the frame of my truck has held up for 30 yrs w/o any problems, I know its on its side but for a few hundred lbs of quad and my weight. It should hold until I have the funds for a new rear end. I plan on swingarm,works shock or similar and it needs a chain and sprockets.

Thank you 87 for the offer I have really considered it I may hit you up in the next couple of weeksB IKve got a few bills to pay now that IKve drained my account.

On a side not as it sits not considering the swingarm what do you think its worth? Its an 87 with k&n filter an that's about it. I gave 1300 for it and an 83 gmc k25. I think I got a pretty decent deal

Ok I understand everyones concerns and all, but I'm not too worried for the next short while. I know its not as strong but with my bracing I feel it will last for a while. I used 1/8th in angle and its layerred on the bottom so the sides are 1/8th thicker and the bottom 1/4. I know c channel is not as strong as boxed but the frame of my truck has held up for 30 yrs w/o any problems, I know its on its side but for a few hundred lbs of quad and my weight. It should hold until I have the funds for a new rear end. I plan on swingarm,works shock or similar and it needs a chain and sprockets.

Thank you 87 for the offer I have really considered it I may hit you up in the next couple of weeksB IKve got a few bills to pay now that IKve drained my account.

On a side not as it sits not considering the swingarm what do you think its worth? Its an 87 with k&n filter an that's about it. I gave 1300 for it and an 83 gmc k25. I think I got a pretty decent deal

Lemme know man, i may sell for stupid cheap... I say an 87 in good running condition is worth anywhere from 1000-1500.

Back