sanding plastics question

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87 warrior

Reaction score
Im going to paint my plastics and i was wondering if 180grit sandpaper would work fine.after i paint it im going to put some stickers on it then im gonna clear coat it.Any sugestions?

180grit is going to leave a lot of scratches. Basically you want to get the plastic nice and smooth and then scuff it up with a scotch bright pad (depending on the application will depend on which pad), scuffing it makes sure the paint adheres best. Then you want to use Krylon Fusion paint as it's designed to bond to plastic. It'll likely still chip eventually though.

Depends on what the surface looks like now, I'd start out low and move up to high finishing up with wet sanding at like 1000-2000 grit. But I'd probably do something like 300grit rough sand, then 500, then 1000, then 2000. This should give you a nice finish. The more you prep the better it'll turn out.

Dont go any higher than 400-600 grit. 1000 grit and higher just wont be enough to grab the paint. Plus your gonna put about 2-3 coats on it so it will fill in nicely. Make sure it is super super clean before you spray them. Use wax and grease remover, and also try and find an adhesion promoter for that type of plastic.

Why I said to scuff it with the scotch bright pads. At least that's how I've always painted plastic. 180 grit would look terrible though.

This is an old post. If your going to do this. Do it right or you will regret it later. Watch a few Utube videos on how auto body is finished down before paint. Same with plastic. Only difference is your finish is plastic and not metal. It takes special primer and special paint that flexes for plastic.

Use the same cleanliness methods preparing the finish before paint. Paint will flake off easily if the right type is NOT used. -kid

Latest posts

Back