Rebiulding my Warrior!!! AKA "Red Headed Step Child"

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1998yamahawarrior

Reaction score
Its come time for me to redo some parts of my warrior. Its not a complete rebiuld but im looking to make it look and function a little better. I have parts sitting here from hecker1 and bomber315 that have just been waiting to go on cause i didnt want to put them on to just take them back off. Im still working on getting some parts like a cam and anything i have to for that specific cam to work and not break anything. Im going to be scooping the factory hood and molding it to the tank cover, for a more seamless look and paint it yellow to match the cyrca hand gaurds that i got from hecker. i plan on taking the a-arms, swing arm, foot gaurds-pegs, and anything else that is getting surface rust and take my sandblaster to them the only thing i havent decide with those parts it if i want to repaint them gray or blue or yellow. im also gonna try to take the weatherization off the plastics.

Parts to go on i already have:
-new ac racing full skid
-dg header
-cyrca handgaurds
-alba pro elite bumper
-used homemade swing arm skid

Parts that i am trying to get:
-cam
-aftermarket spring and retainers to match cam
-if i get cam thinner head gasket to up the compression a little more
-a-arm skids
-new rear tires
-aftermarket grab bar
-banshee or 01 raptor 660 rear shock
Other stuff may get added if i can get some more good deals. If anyone has any ideas shoot because i stare at it and probably dont see something that would look good.
Heres some before pics:
war2.jpg

war3.jpg

war4.jpg

The rebiuld of my Warrior has begun!!

found a cam, just need to verify that it is an aftermarket before i buy. the current owner isnt sure if it is because he bought it used and want to know for sure before i buy it from him

well i need some input for painting the a-arm, swing arm, and pegs/heel gaurds. the frame is gonna stay gray cause the paint on it is just about perfect yet. the white im going to be doing some work on and painting it yellow to match the hand gaurds. i just cant decide what color to paint those pieces. thanx for any ideas guys.

you should buy nerf bars it looks good with them and keeps your legs safe ;)

im starting to consider black for the stuff im painting what do you guys think. or should i go with something brighter

get the tusk nerf bars from rocky mountain

If you're going to be painting the hood yellow, and have yellow hand guards and yellow shocks maybe that's what you should paint the other stuff. Personally I wouldn't though, yellow and blue are suzuki colors, and you don't want people to think you're riding a shitty old suzuki, right?

Are you getting new plastics? In the pics yours look like ****, fixing the thing up isn't going to do any good if you're leaving those faded powder blue plastics on it. You might be able to bring some life back into them with some work, use a heat gun to blend the stress marks, and sand it down with fine grit paper to remove the oxidation, then polish it back, but it'll probably never look quite right.

well im just gonna try to incorperate yellow so the hand gaurds dont look outta place. if i had the extra dough right now id get deadlast to do me a kit that had some yellow. im trying to find a good deal on some different blue plastic but ya a buddy of mine is real good at workin stress marks. he just needs the time to do it. its just a little money here and alittle there and my wife stays quiet about me buyin stuff for it. so it could take til next winter until she looks the way i imagine i want it to look. if you have any good ideas on how to incorperate enough yellow to make the hand gaurd not look bad let it fly that was just the first idea because i wanna biuld a scoop on the hood.

If you're just looking for more places to blend in the yellow without being over the top, the wheel hubs are a quick easy place to start.

I've seen people buy colored rubber hoses at Pep Boys in the import tuner section, slice them down one side, and use them as a cover for the hoses and cables. Helps protect them from damage and usually looks pretty good, and if I remember correctly they do sell them in yellow. The kits are cheap, like 10 or 15 bucks for an assortment of different sized hoses, easily enough to do all the exposed stuff on the quad.

You could hit the handlebars with some yellow too, that red doesn't look right. Actually I'd paint them a charcoal gray or something to that effect, there will already be enough yellow up top with the hand guards. Too much bright yellow on a quad will start to make it look more like a happy meal toy than an off-road machine.

well yamarider im taking your advice and doin the accessories yellow. i just got some used nerfs from 2000warrior350 painted them yellow. the red will be gone once i get new nets for them. still workin on findin decent plastics though

YamaRider said:
If you're just looking for more places to blend in the yellow without being over the top, the wheel hubs are a quick easy place to start.

I've seen people buy colored rubber hoses at Pep Boys in the import tuner section, slice them down one side, and use them as a cover for the hoses and cables. Helps protect them from damage and usually looks pretty good, and if I remember correctly they do sell them in yellow. The kits are cheap, like 10 or 15 bucks for an assortment of different sized hoses, easily enough to do all the exposed stuff on the quad.

You could hit the handlebars with some yellow too, that red doesn't look right. Actually I'd paint them a charcoal gray or something to that effect, there will already be enough yellow up top with the hand guards. Too much bright yellow on a quad will start to make it look more like a happy meal toy than an off-road machine.

... i ride suzuki... although... when i have it powder coated (if it lives that long) it'll be blue and black hehe

My warrior I just bought is yellow and blue, and it looks pretty good!! Any colors that you like would be best, as it will be seen by you more than anyone!!!

Ya i was considering blue and yellow but ended up going with metallic black and blue

well ive got some updated pics here. paintings gonna happen as i replace bearings and bushings. no reason to take it apart twice.
2010-03-10175110.jpg

2010-03-10175152.jpg

Lookin good man, Amazing what some paint will do. I vote for a read seat and yellow nose and tank cover! or vice versa.

Is that an old 900 Kaw behind your quad? Had one of those many years ago..........

xtreemnoise said:
Is that an old 900 Kaw behind your quad? Had one of those many years ago..........

its a '78 kz650 thats my other project i gotta get her runnin yet.

deadlastracing said:
Lookin good man, Amazing what some paint will do. I vote for a read seat and yellow nose and tank cover! or vice versa.

im actually thinkin about doin a scooped hood and moldin the hood to the tank cover, but of couase thats gonna take some time to do or if i can talk my wife into lettin me do it im thinkin about tryin to buy gasmans plastics.

BeastlyWarrior228 said:

well like i said its a work in progress, the red will be gone when i get new nets unless i end up getting different plastics that have red on them.

Back