Knocking Warrior Question

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxguy

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I don't have a warrior yet, but I am in the process of trying to find one to purchase. I am supposed to go out tomorrow morning and check on an 88 for sale.

There is a potential issue though. The owner claims that the engine started knocking recently. He doesn't know a lot about quads, but said that it knocks all the time, which seems like it would be in the top end, as this happens even when in neutral which should elimate the transmission - right?

A friend of mine mentioned that it could be a loose tappitt or that it could be a valve problem. I've also heard it could be something with the piston, then again could be the rod.

Has anyone had knocking in their Warriors and if so, what was the problem/fix? I definitely don't want to buy a lemon, but if I can get something for a reasonable price (any suggestions on this would be fantastic as well) it might not be a bad place to start. I'm new to riding, but everything I keep hearing about the warriors seems to make it the quad I want.

Thanks in advance,

pdxguy

PS: The guy says that everything else (ie. plastic, lights, etc) are all in great shape.

It all depends on the knocking I guess. Warriors are well known for their valves to rattle from a little bit to a lot. It all depends on the quad. My valves were adjusted the other day, they were rattling really loud. After the adjustment, you can still notice the sound, but it isn't as bad.. Your buddy sounds like he knows about quads so take him with you. That would be my only suggestion..

Good luck on the search. Just don't rush into one; you'll get the one you want with patience..

Thanks for the input. I was hesistant about the warrior in question - hence the reason for this posting. I figure I'm going to hold off for a little while longer still and just skip over this one. I would like to have something a bit newer too, just trying to find a good price/deal.

-pdxguy

Forgot to add, I would have taken my friend with me that knows more about engines than I do, but he is in the process of moving and can't make it.

ah....I believe you made a good decision on waiting. One will come along. Hopefully next time you find one he is settled in and can take a trip with you to look at a quad. Its always good to have an extra set of eyes and ears.

Yes, hopefully that is the case, but unfortunately he is moving further away (got a chunk of property - it's a good thing). I've been dragging people with me to look at these as well, I couldn't agree more that it's good to have another opinion.

Something will come along, it's only a matter of time.

The Warrior’s valves are very big so they are pretty prone to noise. Its really to hard to say what the knocking might be with out being there it could be anything (piston slapping, valve train, tranny, misfires, etc...) you need to bring someone with you that can identify the sound. What you can do is see if he will let you take it to a shop and go half with you on a leak down test (no more then 60$ total so 30 each); this will pretty much tell you everything you need to know. The test will benefit you both and it works out for the best. His 30$ will give him the information he needs regarding what’s potentially wrong with it and also a buyer if there turns out to be nothing wrong. Your 30$ will give you the peace of mind you need and a quad now! :cool:

Latest posts

Back