Bleeding Brakes

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamahawarrior87

Reaction score
Well i did a search and came up blank, if anyone knows of a How-To please let me know.

I bought my quad and the front brakes did not work. The calipers were shot and the lines were just too old and crappy. Instead of replacing with new stuff ($$$$) i went on ebay and picked myself up the whole front brake set up for 25 bucks(good deal i thought).

For people that have done it before, what is the best way of doing it. I know u flip off the dust cap from the brake bleeder valve and connect a tube to it. But from then on I'm a little bit sketchy about how to do the rest.

Also you need to have a tube from the bleeder valve to a container . Can there be a household thing to use or do i go out and buy a little clear hose(where?).

Thanks for any help guys. Any tid bits would be appreciated.

breakbleed.jpg

;)

Alright, i got my brakes in from ebay and changed them out on Friday. I'm going to bleed them this week. I have 1 question though that I'm a little confused about.

"hold the brake lever or pedal in the applied position and open the bleeder valve about 1/2 turn= do not release the brake lever or pedal while the bleeder valve is open. When you open the bleeder valve, you will feel the lever loosen a bit as it moves to the limit of its travel. At this point, tighten the bleeder screw, then release the brake lever or pedal"

...k my question is, how does the lever loosen and move to its limit of travel if you already have the lever held in? i would think it wouldn't be able to move? Just a little confused, thanks for the help.

Alright, i got my brakes in from ebay and changed them out on Friday. I'm going to bleed them this week. I have 1 question though that I'm a little confused about.

"hold the brake lever or pedal in the applied position and open the bleeder valve about 1/2 turn= do not release the brake lever or pedal while the bleeder valve is open. When you open the bleeder valve, you will feel the lever loosen a bit as it moves to the limit of its travel. At this point, tighten the bleeder screw, then release the brake lever or pedal"

...k my question is, how does the lever loosen and move to its limit of travel if you already have the lever held in? i would think it wouldn't be able to move? Just a little confused, thanks for the help.

This is because there is pressure build up in the line so the lever will only travel so far before you can not squeeze it in any farther (not all the way down to it's mechanical limit).

When you open the bleeder valve a half turn while squeezing the break lever it forces fluid out the valve as you squeeze and the lever will then travel towards the rest of it's mechanical limit as the fluid exits the valve and the pressure is released. This is why they say not to release the lever with the valve open; if you release it with the valve open it will draw air back into the system.

Back