12:1 compression piston on the stock rod?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswwarrior350

Reaction score
Alright im looking into getting a 12:1 compression piston for my warrior. I got a pretty good deal on one right now. But i am concerned, will my stock rod hold up to a 12:1? Any help is appreciated. I know about race gas and what not i already got that all straitened out. I was just a little concerned before i order it this week.

Don't worry about it. Its hard to explain but increasing compression ratio does not load the lower end or wrist pin anymore than it was before. The major bearing load in an engine is due to the reciprocating mass of the piston. During the compression stroke that load is pointed towards the head. Compression is fighting that load (pointed towards the crank) and is much much less. An increase in compression or forced air induction (turbo or supercharger) will not cause more load on your lower end. Your biggest enemy in high compression is heat. I know this is hard to follow so if you want a much better explination go read "maximum boost" by corky bell. Its an excellent book that puts a lot of engine information in readable terms.

Ic well thanks for the update, if i do get this set-up, which i am 99% sure i am, i am also going to upgrade to the big bear set-up for an oilcooler. Thanks guys

Back