cam chain. need some advice

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awsomeaussie

Reaction score
on my warrior which i swear is a lemon while idling it makes kinda of a tapping sound like the vlaves arent adjusted right but i checked them and they were good and i when i was adjusting them i felt the timing chain and it felt like it was tight but the sound really makes me want to tighten that chain, how do you know if it needs adjusting and then how tight to you make it. thanks

mine taps like that too, along with every other warrior I ever heard. Some are worse than others, but warriors just have a noisy top end. If the timing chain felt tight then don't worry about it.

there is a cam chain tensioner that keeps the chain at the right tension. and as for the noise, it may be piston slap.

i dont think its piston slap becuase i know what that sounds like and this is different

is it sort of a ticking sound? that's the sound I hear with mine and every other warrior I ever heard

Yeah the ticking sound. I got an 01 and at idle after riding for awhile it gets loud. I don't worry about it. Just like YamaRider said, some are worse then others I have noticed.

I know this is an old thread but Bump, I have a question.

I have noticed a ticking comming from my top end as well. It's still fairly new after a full rebuild from the bottom up, the guy I bought it from had it done at yamaha pre sale, and broke it in, and I've put maybe 20-25 hours on it post break in.
But about the ticking since none of my friends that I normally ride with have rappy's or warriors, I'm not sure if it's a normal tap, or if it's the valves. It isn't that evident while cold, just after some time riding, or while hot. It's not an irregular tapping rhythm, is rather constant, and surprisingly loud (well what I consider loud for a tap, mind you this is my first warrior. and I haven't owned a rappy). So you think I should play it safe and pull it apart to check the clearances?
~Bill

If you never adjusted the valves it would be a good idea to check them.

It has been about 1 1/2 months since the rebuild, that's why I didn't think they would need adjusting, since they were done then. But just to be on the safe side I guess I'll check em.
~Bill

Was it ticking when you got it, or did it just start doing it recently?

mine is pretty damn loud too. when i first got it, i didnt notice it at all until the first time i took it out for a decent ride. then after it warmed up, it was ticking like crazy. my dad and i both thought it was the valves so on our way home we stopped at the yamaha dealer. the owner came out and said that it sounded like the valves to him too. since i got it used, i had no idea if the valves had ever been adjusted or not. they said they would adjust them for 40 bucks, so i left it there. when i went to pick it up, they said that the valves did need to be adjusted but the noise was coming from a loose cam chain. now whether it is hot or cold it is "pecking" and it changes with the rpms of the motor. i looked in the clymer manual about the cam chain tensioner but didnt find any useful info. can the cam chain/tensioner be adjusted?

The cam chain tensioner automatically adjusts, so if your chain is loose it needs replaced, and it would be a good idea to replace it soon, a loose chain could jump the sprockets and do all kinds of damage.

Yamaha's cam chains aren't real good, I put a DID cam chain in mine during the rebuild.

Was it ticking when you got it, or did it just start doing it recently?
It has always had a slight tick, But I think it may have recently gotten a little louder. It's tough for me to say since when I ride, there are always atleast 2 other people with me, and one is usually a 2stroke, so I really can't hear it over his exhaust... I guess I'll pull it apart see what's going on inside.
~Bill

Lol don't pull it apart unless its broke. That's how things get fucked up. Your warrior is fine. they all tick. just ride it man!

heh, well at the moment it is apart, well atleast i have my tie rods and ends are off, but the rest is in working order. :)
~Bill

Latest posts

Back