No rear brakes

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamahawarrior87

Reaction score
I don't know what happened but i was riding in 6th gear givin er down a straight stretch and then needed to slow down for my turn off. Needless to say i slid way past it and missed it. There is no problems with the lines or fluid, the problem is the disk isn't spinning.

Its like either the spline on the axle is toast, or the spline on the hub for the disk is toast. It's slipping like mad and therefore has no stopping power whatsoever.

Taking it apart is such a huge hassle with needing to remove all the components in the rear end and my uncle came up with a idea i thought I'd ask your opinions about.

His idea was to drill through the disk hub, through the axle, and out the other end and put a bolt through it. This will then now allow the disk to spin with the axle again.

Good idea? Yay or nay? Any opinions?

It's not a big hassle to pull the axle out. Check the tutorial section for that! If anything, I would just weld the disk hub to the axle instead of drilling a hole through the axle and possibly weakening it.

Yeah you would be better off J-B welding it or something- that part of the axle takes a lot of stress and drilling it would weaken it quite a bit. Plus I think that axle is hardened steel, which would take some time and a couple drill bits to drill a hole through it. Did you check the hub closely to see if it cracked? I'm not sure how else those splines could wear out and slip. Probably should pull the axle and find out exactly what the problem is before you go nig rigging it

I don't know what happened but i was riding in 6th gear givin er down a straight stretch and then needed to slow down for my turn off. Needless to say i slid way past it and missed it. There is no problems with the lines or fluid, the problem is the disk isn't spinning.

Its like either the spline on the axle is toast, or the spline on the hub for the disk is toast. It's slipping like mad and therefore has no stopping power whatsoever.

Taking it apart is such a huge hassle with needing to remove all the components in the rear end and my uncle came up with a idea i thought I'd ask your opinions about.

His idea was to drill through the disk hub, through the axle, and out the other end and put a bolt through it. This will then now allow the disk to spin with the axle again.

Good idea? Yay or nay? Any opinions?

i did that with my old suzuki 230 but the hole was through the hub and axel.... the bolts kept snaping as soon as you start to ride it semi hard but i dont know about drilling through where you are talking about... try welding it and it that brakes then i guess you could grind away the weld and put a bolt through it and keep a close eye on it if you do

Is this a stock axle or aftermarket? If its aftermarket you would strip out the splines on the rotor hub way before the axle.

I just got it a year ago, but from what i can tell, it is the stock axle. I'll take a look at it for a crack in a bit. I guess instead of Jb welding it i really should just take it apart and see what the problem really is.

Well i found out that im going away next weekend with my bike and working 12 hour shifts each day doesn't give me enough time to take out the rear axle, order parts, etc..

So i bought a new 1/4'' hard steel bit and went through the hub and axle. Got a bolt and a lock nut, and here it is...

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

WOrks great, it was softer to go through than expected, 15 mins later it all works.

well if ya don't have time for parts that will be fine for a quick fix, but don't be suprised sometime down the road coming off a jump and your axle splits..lol Start shopping early for a new axle and hubs, you can get em real cheap on ebay if your patient. Surely if you don't we'll see you posting in the Battle scars forum in the future:p

that is about the thickest part of the axle, but it will be weaker with a 1/4 inch hole through it, so if the axle does break it's going to be right where that bolt is. Unless you hit jumps that have real hard landings I wouldn't worry too much about it, under normal conditions it should be ok.

Naw i dont hit huge jumps, just small ones here and there on the trails. If it comes down to it i can always pick a new axle up on Ebay for pretty cheap, so we'll see how this works out.

Back