starter clutch?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamarider

Reaction score
Did anybody have problems with their starter clutch? Mine has been making a clunk clunk clunk sound when I start it and another clunk when I turn it off as long as i've owned it, and I never thought too much about it. But it seems like it's getting worse, along with some other hellish sounds when I fire it up. And there's some small metal shavings in my oil filter, which I think came from the starter clutch. I'm just going by things i've read on other websites about starter clutches and don't know a thing about them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The "starter clutch" is actually a big needle bearing that only allows rotation in one direction. If you have metal shavings in your oil it could be that needle bearing breaking up. It also could be that shavings from something else are getting lodged in the needle bearing and making it jam when its not suppose to. I would pull the flywheel cover and flywheel and inspect the needle bearing. You will be very lucky if its the needle bearing and not something else. I would also recommend that you pull your oil pump and inspect it. I recently had a rod bearing fail and the shavings from the rod bearing took out the oil pump. If your oil pump is starting to go then you could have big problems real quick!

I never took anything on my motor apart in fear of screwing something up worse than it already is. Anything I should know before I start taking it apart? Do I need new gaskets or a torque wrench to put it back together? I assume I need a flywheel puller, but how much $$ and where would I find one? thanks

Hey, my quad makes the same clunking noise on startup and once on shut down. and from what i've heard almost every older warrior does that. you can spend the 300 bucks to repair it or you can live with it. Cause the guy i bought mine from told me it's been doing it for as long as he had it, which was 8 years, and it still runs fine to this day.

I've been letting it go, but I found metal shavings in my oil filter when I was installing the oil cooler, and it seems like the starter is turning the motor slower and working harder than it used to. I'd like to just forget about it, but i'm worried about causing more damage from the metal shavings that are getting circulated around in the oil now. I'm having second thoughts again about selling my Recon, ever since I bought this damn warrior i've been having **** break and wear out. I don't know if I just got a lemon, but this thing isn't nearly as reliable as everyone claims warriors to be.

im in exactly the same boat
and i mean exactly
i think i must have bought a lemon becuase my warrior is no where near as reliable or bullet proof or built like a tank as everyone has said

i had this problem. your starter clutch is suppose to turn one way and lock the other. yours might turn both ways so your starter is always running. thats what happened to me and i paid 190 for a new starter clutch

Back