a couple questions about my brakes

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamarider

Reaction score
A couple months ago I replaced my rear brake pads with a set of sintered metal pads. The pads I replaced had worn down past the pad and tore up the rotor a little bit before I could replace them. The new pads had seemed to be holding up fine until rausch creek 2 weeks ago, after a few hours of riding I noticed that the right pad was down to the steel again but the the left pad looked like new still. What could have caused only the right pad to wear down, and why so suddenly? I was considering that the pad could have came apart and fell off but I don't know if thats even possible. Also i'm not sure about what kind of brake pads to buy . I need to replace them front and rear now, and I don't know much about the differences between sintered metal pads and the other types out there.

My first guess is that your right caliper is hanging up. 99% of the time that is why one side wears out faster than the other.

Ditto from above. Possibly the mounts for the brakes on the rear hub somehow was slightly bent, causing it to be too snug on the rotor or something. Take it all off and when ya slide it back on it see how much the rotor is bending to get it on.

In brake pads, either buy stock Nissin replacements, or EBC severe duty. Those are ther longest lasting brake pads made. Amazing enough ive found the stock brake pads to actually be good.

correct answer: your sintered no good bare metal brake pads scratched into the rotor leaving sharp grooves in the brake rotor. These sharp grooves just shaved away at your new brake pads. Get a new rotor, boot! 50 pushups! Dismissed.

I replaced the worn out nissin pads with the sintered pads. The sintered pads only wore on one side.

Could possbily be a bent rotor, i know i had that problem, i would wear out one side and have 1/2 shoe left on the other. Since ive put the severe duty pads on ive had 0 problems and they have about 0 wear on them.

I pulled the rear caliper and spun the wheels, and the rotor does in fact have a bit of a wobble. not bad, maybe 1/8 of an inch, but that's probably what caused my pads to wear out. thanks for the help

Back